Chagul

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
While I have been going through all my “surplus to my needs” bushcraft gear I found my Chagul. After soaking it for the requisite 48 hours I filled it up and tried it out.
Although it wasn’t particularly hot today the water was pleasantly cool to drink, I imagine on a hotter day it would cool the water even more.
I also tested it for the whole day and it only lost about a cup of water which is pretty good.

I was expecting the water to have an unpleasant taste but it tasted the same as out of the filter.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never seen one of these and had to look it up. I’m guessing it is a type of canvas? Hence the need to soak. I don’t quite get the reason for the shape.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never seen one of these and had to look it up. I’m guessing it is a type of canvas? Hence the need to soak. I don’t quite get the reason for the shape.
I think one of the reasons for the shape is the closure method. The neck of the bag is tied closed with cordage, when the bag is wet it is very stiff and would therefore be very difficult to close if not narrowed.

The reason for the offset is possibly just for ease of pouring or drinking from the bag.

This pattern would probably also limit wasted material during manufacture quite a lot.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Looks a handy water cooler for a base camp in hot weather. Hang it up under a tree or shady awning. Somewhat like the canvas water bags people had tied to the front of their cars in days gone past.

My Dad had one and my recollections are it worked quite well.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
They were originally made of goat skin. You've probably seen them in old movies. They are a similar shape to the original, which is actually quite a handy shape.

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It is made from Flax canvas, this I don’t believe is at all related the Bota Bag which is the goatskin bag as this bag is specifically design to cool water and not just store it. My research suggests this technology originated in Asia.