chaga, and my experiences

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK I finally got my hands on some chaga or true tinder fungus. I have had some trouble with this, apparently border security doesn't like me importing some of this sort of stuff, but allows other stuff in.

This stuff was inspecected and cleared. So all is OK. I have the paperwork if anyone wants to see it.

I initially had a lot of trouble getting it to take a spark from flint and steel. You need to char it first. Also once it is embered it is really hard to stop it from smouldering/embering, I almost lost a whole piece demonstrating this.

Mark sent me 114g of chaga, to buy that much of it, it is like £85.5 worth of the stuff (or at the exchange rate as of today about $171+ postage) so you can imagine it is an amazingly generous gift.

Though he did say his mate did harvest this ethically from the wilds in Scotland so didn't really 'cost' him anything. Still an amazing gift, one I am very much appreciative of.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Cripes, at $AU171.00 I will certainly treasure the tree fungi I have. It is excellent stuff for fire lighting although as mentioned it combusts away quickly.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
chaga smulders and embers slow mate, and once you get it going it is almost impossible to stop except unless you want to put in a bucket of water or seal it a contain and let it burn off all the oxygen)

more experimenting today, this time with my 6 power magnifying glass, worked a treat, a bit slower than normal but still got it in the end