payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Cervus unicolor

Common Name: Sambar

Sub-class: NA

Family: Cervidae

Other Names: NA

Distribution: Originally found in India and Sri Lanka and first released in Victoria in 1862. It now resides in the forested mountains in Victoria's east
north of the princess highway extending into NSW and reaching as far as the ACT and eastward from the hume highway to the tasman sea.

Habitat: Found mainly in heavily forested area's of the Vic high country they will however venture out of the thick scrub to take advantage of improved
pasture on the fringes of farmland.

Field Notes: Sambar are no doubt the most elusive and largest species of deer found in Australia. They are quite well know for their extremely acute hearing.
In windy conditions sambar will usually be found in sheltered area's known as "zones of silence" where they can use their excellent ears to hear
predator's approach an essential skill for survival honed in their native India where their main predator is the tiger.

Sambar are ranked as the third largest species of deer in the world behind the Moose and Wapiti. The stag can stand as high as 130cm at the
shoulder and weigh over 300kg. The hind up to 115cm and 230kg.

print4.jpg
Image taken from sambardeer.com

Last edited:

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Pics? I'm to lazy to google, plus the post seems more complete with a pic.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
That's interesting about the "zones of silence". Individuals have been know to swim back and forth from French island. I've seen them in Bunyip state park and at Wilson's prom.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yeh sorry guys i forgot pics i will upload some after work and there is an enclosure known as the bunyip sambar project where they have been studying sambar for around 20 years i will be adding more info in time guys.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I was reading earlier that they are continuing to move further North in NSW too... I'd say that that map puts them in Kinglake or close to it at least, not Gisbourne though.

Last edited:

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sambar have extended their range a lot further than many think. I have a mate that has even shot Sambar in the Balranald district of NSW as well as down the far west coast of Vic.

Here's a nice pic of a mature Sambar stag.

Bill.

Attachments

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
It was getting killed on the road, only common animals (those in large numbers) wind up as road kill. So I would hazard a guess that the range is at least double the map although they will not be in large numbers over all of that range

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The home range of Sambar has spread quite a lot and they can be found in many area's but the bulk of the population is found where described.
This weekend I am attending Errol Mason's beyond the basics hunter education course and I am quite excited.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The home range of Sambar has spread quite a lot and they can be found in many area's but the bulk of the population is found where described.
This weekend I am attending Errol Mason's beyond the basics hunter education course and I am quite excited.
Hey Payney, I've been thinking about attending one of Errol's courses for a while now.
Can you please let us know what you thought of it after the week end?
I believe they are great courses but also not cheap.
Love to hear whether you reckon they're worth the money.

Thanks again
Bill.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
No worries Bill I was planning making a post about it. At $990 it's not cheap but I'm sure it will be worth the money I wouldn't
have paid it otherwise. I also highly recommend his secrets of the sambar book series they are not cheap either but certainly
worth it or at least subscribe to his magazine the quality is excellent and content is second to none check his website for more
info.

www.sambardeer.com

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah I've been getting the mag'for a while now & I agree - excellent info & great quality.
I'm also planning on getting a copy of his books but have to get the coin together first - again they aint cheap.
Have a mate that did the course about 2 years ago & said it was brilliant.
Am thinking about booking in for 2013 but finding that big 'G' aint easy.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
No it certainly isn't easy to come up with that kind of money I'm lucky enough to have virtually unlimited overtime
so when I want something I just do big hours (up to about 70 a week) to save the coin that's how I paid for the course.
I have the first two books the third is on the list but a few other things are above it though.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sambar have extended their range a lot further than many think. I have a mate that has even shot Sambar in the Balranald district of NSW as well as down the far west coast of Vic.

Here's a nice pic of a mature Sambar stag.

Bill.
Wow... what a beast,look at the antlers.!!

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Wow... what a beast,look at the antlers.!!
Love to say it's one that I shot, or at least took the photo of - but I'd be fibbing big time.
Photo was taken by one of the guys in the ADA I believe.
It truly is a magnificent specimen though.
Ah well, keeps the dreams alive.

Bill.

andreas

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Sambar are not as hard to find as you may think, hunt by stalking listen and observe your surounds the bush has its own early warning signs. Things to look for drive slowly on your mountain tracks check the high side of the road, deer will use a path to go to rub trees and find food. You will see marks in the dirt of the bank.
The male will have a favourite rub tree which he will always go back too these are used to camp and to rub his antlers, favourite trees are the cherry ballart "Exocarpos cupressiformis" the tree has dark cupress type foliage with small red berries.
Cool damp foggy days are good, and remember what your kill needs to be carried out, and I have seen Sambar as big as female Hereford cows. Good luck!

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sambar are not as hard to find as you may think, hunt by stalking listen and observe your surounds the bush has its own early warning signs. Things to look for drive slowly on your mountain tracks check the high side of the road, deer will use a path to go to rub trees and find food. You will see marks in the dirt of the bank.
The male will have a favourite rub tree which he will always go back too these are used to camp and to rub his antlers, favourite trees are the cherry ballart "Exocarpos cupressiformis" the tree has dark cupress type foliage with small red berries.
Cool damp foggy days are good, and remember what your kill needs to be carried out, and I have seen Sambar as big as female Hereford cows. Good luck!
Hey Anreas. Your dead right. Hard to find they aint. They're all over the high country. However, bagging one can sometimes be a very different ball game altogether.
I've known guys to bag em within 100 meters of the car on their 1st trip out & I've known guys that have taken 10 years to get their first.
Took me nearly 3 years to get the first one under my own belt. They can be extremely difficult to hunt but once you learn their habbits & the various tactics that can work then they can be taken regularly. One thing I will say is that there's no free rides with Sambar. You might be luckyt enough to stumble over one & bag it easilly but Karma will always guarantee you'll work your guts out for the next one. Anyone taking a Sambar, especailly a mature stag, can rightly be proud of their achievment, they'll have earned it one way or another.
The only species of deer I belive that comes close to the Sambar as far as difficulty to bag is concerned in the dimunitive hoggies of the coastal swamps.

Bill.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Well guys I attended Errol Mason's hunt smart course and the only thing I can say about it is I LOVED IT I honestly
can't put into words how great the course is if you are interested in sambar and you can afford it do it.
I learnt so much in a few days it would have taken years and years in the bush to gain all the knowledge gained
from Errol and the other hunters on the course.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Damn ya Paney.
Now I've gotta save me pennies for something else ;-)

Been thinking about doin' it for a while now & you've just mad up me mind.
Might be a next year project I think.
I've done the ADA Hunter education course & also enjoyed that (& learned a heap) but I think Errol's course tends to go more into specific tactics from what I've been led to believe.

Thanks for the report mate.
Looking forward to seein a nice 'big rack' pic from you (an no, I'm not talking about wimmin either)

Bill.