Casio G-shock Rangeman - any thoughts

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day guys,
The battery On my Casio G Shock finally gave out last week, after five years. Hopefully it isn't too expensive to replace and pressure test.
If it is pricey, or my wife really, really loves me, I may get a new watch.
If so I will be looking at the Casio G-Shock Rangeman. Seems to tick all the boxes. 200m diver with altimeter, barometer, compass and thermometer. Solar powered and atomic clock aligned.
About $300 off Evil bay. Hmm. Will have to be extra nice to Mary Christmas this year....
Anyone have any experience with this watch?
Please send your feedback.
Cheers
Bloffy

Smead

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yeah, its my go to watch. I find the Barometer and compass to be the most useful, although I don't rely on the Compass, as I usually have my Suunto MC2 Global with me if I'm using the compass feature. Its certainly not a diver, although it does have 200m water resistance, its more of a field watch. If you want a Diver, the Frogman is the way to go. Its Big on the wrist but doesn't feel like a big watch. The solar Power option is awesome, cant see this watch running out of Juice anytime soon. Atomic time wont work here in Oz, but if you travel to USA, Japan, Europe and UK, I'm of the understanding that it will pick up the signal. Mine has never found a signal, and I have been all over Oz wearing it. mines showing a little wear and tear but nothing major, and I've had it for about a year. $300 is a good price for it. Just watch for fakes as it is one of the more desirable G Shocks. Mine is the Black with positive display, of which I have no problems reading inside and out. some people have said the negative display can be hard to read outside.

Lightswitch

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have one and love it. Its only the second watch I've bought, and the only one I've actually worn full time.

Smead is correct about the time sync... up to a point. Depending on where you are in the county, atmospheric conditions etc, you can sometime pick up the Japan broadcast. For some reason it sets mine back an hour. Not sure why. The last time mine picked it up was on the 9th of November. There is a java ap you can run in your browser that uses some tricky harmonics with a pair of headphones that will simulate the broadcast. If I'm ever bothered to correct the time on the watch I use that. Works pretty good.

The watch itself is fantastic. It'll take a beating and has some pretty useful features.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Go the Casio protrek titanium! It adds tide times to the list. I do find the altimeter quite variable. Larger watch but doesn't feel like it. Got mine a couple of years ago from USA for ~$250. The pinnacle of G shocks.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The solar Power option is awesome, cant see this watch running out of Juice anytime soon.
I'm not sure it'll ever run out in a practical sense. I've had my PRG 60T for about 10 years now and I've never even seen the battery charge indicator dip.

Can't go wrong really with a Casio as an EDC watch, especially one of the useful triple sensor varieties.