Carp

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah they are fun to catch but the problem is you then have to dispose of them. and around here they are so muddy you wouldn't eat them
I've heard that some folk put them in fresh water (in an old bath or barrel) to clean out a bit.
Never tried it myself and I'm not sure about the transport from river to fresh water ?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Paddling down the Shoalhaven between Christmas and new year we paddled through he stench of death. Found a row of big carp on the bank neatly lined up. Disposing of them is a problem. Leaving them on the bank is no solution.

Purging them as Aussie said should work OK for those game enough to eat them.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
My three year old succeeds in landing his first carp all by himself.

Last edited:

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Leaving them on the river bank is what used to be considered good practice, it made sure the bloody things were dead.
Don't bother trying to eat them, unless you are actually starving, taste isn't the real problem, hasn't got any but they are like eating cotton wool with bones in. best used as fertiliser IMHOAaACook

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
At our favourite carp hole,we pile rocks onto the carp carcasses.It lessens the possiblity of birds or foxes dragging them around.I have heard that the carp eggs can still be fertile even when the fish has been dead for a while and the eggs inadvertently making it back into the water.I'm not sure how true this is but we take this extra precaution.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
carp suck unless...

you gut them
you skin them
the red meat on the lateral line must ALL be removed. you'll see that it's a V-shaped piece of flesh that runs most of the length of the fish.
rinse the fish , very well

at this point it's just very bony fish.

you can smoke it or can it.
steam it, pull the meat off and make fishcakes.

cut it into 2-3 inch steaks
use a razor or filet knife to score the meat (about every 1/8 inch or 3mm)
the smaller bones will melt when you cook the fish this way
bread it and deep fry it
frying makes anything taste good, right?

when i was growing up we had some italian neighbors who put their saturday catch in the bathtub and kept changing the water until it ran clear (at least 3 days), then butchered and fried the carp for friday's meal.

i fly fish for carp and they are amazing fighters. they'll take anything when they're biting. larger nymphs and emergers and especially in moving water bonefish patterns (charlies, gotchas and shrimp patterns)

if you take the time to clean them the meat is white and firm.

if you eat them as they come, it tastes just like pond scum smells.

at least that's been my experience.

good luck.

Last edited:

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bowand Spear Fishing in Inland Waters is Illegal in at least NSW and Queensland and I in no way endorse it. If I stumble across a Carp I prepare as previously suggested, soak in Milk with a little Vinegar for a few hours, roll in seasoned Flour and Pan Fry with a Dob of Butter.

regards Jacko

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I wonder how smoking em would go
Bit tough finding papers and hard to keep 'em lit.
I am definitely not a fisherman (son of one though).
Are there carp in WA? Don't think I have ever heard of 'em over here.
Most of the rivers I paddle on are predominantly salt or brackish. I take it carp are fresh water fish?
I'm wondering if they are like catfish, which have a bad reputation, yet cobblers are great eating. Are they the same family?
Cheers
Bloffy

downunderrunner

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
carp are a massive problem in canberra's lakes and rivers, but i've found that they can be purged of all muddy flavour by keeping them in a bath tub of fresh water that's run through a sand filter and dumped from height to keep it air-rated for a week-16 days, feed em on canned or fresh corn, they're a great fish if you need something firm and fairly bland, say for a curry

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I've actually never seen one in the flesh, which hopefully says something about the state of my local rivers.

But it sounds ab it tedious for anyone other than those used to eating Bun mang vịt + fishy goodness.

Sounds a lot like forky tail catfish... either eat them, throw them to the dogs (or cats) or just bury them and plant veggies or trees on top.

Bernoulli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I used to catch muddy catfish. My cats liked them.

I've been told that one cure for muddy taste is to soak the meat in milk.

The Indians in America taught new arrivals to put a fish under each planted kernel of corn. Worked for them.

I'll skip eating them. I ate my share of vile stuff in USAF Survival School(s).

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
When it comes to fish species, we're pretty much spoilt here in Oz. I like my fish meals cooked simply so I can savour the flavour of the specific species, so, any fish like carp that requires fancy butchering and ladles of herbs, spices, etc to make it palatable is not one I wanna eat.

Mullet as fish bait??!! Estuary mullet is one of the best tasting fish in the coastal rivers (though not after heavy rain because they can taste muddy) - also, very good as curry because it holds together.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
eat Carp...yuk!!..just rather look at them in ornamental ponds, friend has 12 of them in his pond and they are massive, very long lived fish....very detrimental to freshwater systems, lakes, dams tho...I know they're in the water ways up Tallowa Dam, Kangaroo, Shoalhaven Rivers :_s:

Scrubby

Russell Coight
Reaction score
They make the best fishcakes... I would eat a fillet of redfin, yellowbelly, cod or perch but a carp fishcake does the fish justice. Lime juice, chilli, salt, pepper and a handfull of breadcrumbs.... YUUMMM

Scrubby

Russell Coight
Reaction score
i think its also worth noting that as much as traditional Aussies are disgusted by carp, they are actually a popular food source abroad. I always make the comparison with black bream and carp. both soft flesh, bream have more mass of bones but carp can outgrow the black bream by around 310% carcass weight. carp in my opinion are a reasonably usefull foodsource, given thier abundance we sgould really be embracing them and leaving the natives to fight another day IMO.

ninefivefox

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Where are all our European expats, don't you guys eat it over there, after all it was your countrymen who introduce it.