Canoe repairs

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just looking at getting a canoe. There seem to be quite a rew around for sale that need repairs. Are they easy enough to repair or are they more sophisticated than they look. Damage includes small holes in fiberglass, loose wooden brace thingies and those sort of things.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
You will find a heap of repair vids on youtube...

I would suggest you check them out to get an idea of what repairs can be done and how they go about it. I have done heaps of wood work but no fiberglassing, so just need to check out what skills you have VS the skills the jobs require.

I had a heap of fun working on my old one.

[video=youtube_share;Rc_CJL1m9eM]http://youtu.be/Rc_CJL1m9eM[/video]

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
yep check out the skills needed, glassing is not too bad, its easy for small holes etc,
if you get a canoe at a good price it can be a bit of fun repairing,
the main thing I think id be looking for is that the canoe is not too warped.

youll need a bit of room for a good size canoe and if you glassing/sanding it causes one heck of a powder cloud.

i remember the day i found a surfboard, it had come off some ones car and was laying on the side of the road down the embankment, tail and nose dinged but not bad, spent the money got some glassing kit spent a few days on it, sat it on my car roof racks to get it out if the way....my mum later that day comes in and say hey there is another board down the road, i said WHAT!!!! your kidding...went down to the garage.....yelled MUM did you take my car down the street???? yeah love i did......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR @#$% @#$% yep you guess it she didnt look up, i can tell you I DID NOT re repair the repair

sorry to go OT, but thought you like my fibreglass story :)

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm a bit the same with woodwork no problems but fiberglass I have never repaired. The one I'm interested in the guy wants a carton for it so might be worth a look.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Fiberglassing is a pretty simple process. Most canoes with holes would most likely be just wear holes which happen over time. Definitely worth a carton I reckon.

bentarrow

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Fibreglass is easy as to repair, it's one of the things that make it so versatile. You need some health and safety awareness though.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
if the hole is big you can lay some thick card to do a layer on. then remove the card by sanding off and put a layer on each side.
I patched my old one up with calico and resin cos it had cracked the whole way round the nose. found it on the side of the road.

bentarrow

Les Stroud
Reaction score
if the hole is big you can lay some thick card to do a layer on. then remove the card by sanding off and put a layer on each side.
I patched my old one up with calico and resin cos it had cracked the whole way round the nose. found it on the side of the road.
Just wondering why you chose to use calico and not chopped strand or woven mat?