Canoe Assessor

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Does anybody hear happen to be an assessor under the SIS 10 qualification for Flat Water Canoe Guide? I know there are a few guys on hear who are AA assessors so I thought I would ask.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I am currently Level 1 but am going to train up to Guide status as soon as I can.

Many years ago I did an instructors course for canoeing (and also abseiling and rock climbing) but I got out of Scouting for a few years and let it all lapse. So now that I am back in it I have to start again from scratch.

I plan on getting Guide status in Canoeing/Kayaking, Abseiling and Bushwalking as I have just taken on a District role, being in charge of Adventurous Outdoor Activities.

I may take on Assessor status once I see how the role progresses once I have guide status in all three areas.

Where abouts are you based? If you find an assessor who wants to run a course up in Fraser District I have a few Venturers and other leaders who want to do a Level 2 course ASAP.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I am level 2 Flat Water Canoe but need to get my Guide for an activity I want to run over summer. I am also guide Archery and plan on doing snow shoe guide this winter (which will also get me bush-walking). You don't want to collect to many guide levels as you have to maintain the competencies (at least 20 hours of time in the field) and if it is not your job that can be hard.

To get your Assessor you need to get to guide and then do your Level 4 TAE (which has been the sticking point because training team is being odd) and then do the assessor course. I plan on having that done by next summer*for canoe and possibly Kayak.

The national Adventurous training school is happening up your way, just get them to go on that. I would be going to that but I don't quite have the money (my group is being stingy but that is another story)