Can anyone recommend a good machete?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Need a good, simple and tough machete for Australian conditions and woods. A practical good quality sheath to go with it would be great too.

I bought a Gerber one a while ago and it absolutely sucks.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Need a good, simple and tough machete for Australian conditions and woods. A practical good quality sheath to go with it would be great too.

I bought a Gerber one a while ago and it absolutely sucks.

Thanks guys.
I've heard that the Cold Steel machetes are ok value for the money.

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
hi
never used his product however, there is an Aussie maker of custom machetes. i think his website is 'deweyknives.com.au'.

Woz888

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Depends on what you need to use it for of course. I needed something to clear dense hardwood undergrowth on a family property, Cotoneastor/Privet and the likes. Tried a machete, admittedly an el-cheapo one, but it was too flimsy and far too long for the purpose. Tried a British type Golock, it worked, but was a tad too heavy. Then got myself a Helle Lapplander Leuku which is perfect. Might be worth a shot.

Woz

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Depends on what you need to use it for of course. I needed something to clear dense hardwood undergrowth on a family property, Cotoneastor/Privet and the likes. Tried a machete, admittedly an el-cheapo one, but it was too flimsy and far too long for the purpose. Tried a British type Golock, it worked, but was a tad too heavy. Then got myself a Helle Lapplander Leuku which is perfect. Might be worth a shot.

Woz
Never used a Leuku, but a lot of people say good things about them

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Woz.

I hadn't heard of helle before now but im glad you told me about them because their products look great!

I guess what i need is something for the Australian bush. So it will need to be able to cope with hard woods, though i wont be cutting large logs with a machete obviously but I tend to find the more simple of products always last longest in my kit.

I do love a tool that can take a bit of abuse. One thing i hate is having to be very careful with gear because Im afraid of damaging it. So reliability is number one.

Woz888

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yep, I like Helle knives a lot. But then, I like Puukkos and Leukus in general.

As I say, I use the Lapplander (Leuku) quite a lot and it copes with Aussie timbers very well. I remove a garden shed recently from under an old fig tree that was slowly crushing said shed. We had to take half the fig tree out to get the shed out - and all we had was the Lapplander. Easy Peasy.

As to Helle knives in general, perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

Woz

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone.

Woz,

How will that blade deal with australian conditions? All the videos ive seen, it tends to be cutting fairly green and light wood. It looks like a great tool but it looks quite small to me. Although i know there is a technique to using them that might make a difference. I really like the look of the, but it feels like it would be more like a big knife than a machete.

So far im leaning towards the Dewey Vietnam Machete but havnt found any information on their quality yet. Any onfo would be apreciated.

http://www.deweyknives.com.au/machetes.html

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great vids, I guess another alternative would be the Nepalese Khukuri? Heavier knife than a Leuku

Woz888

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yep, a Khukuri would be another alternative, alas I only have one on my wish list at present.

As to the Leuku and Aus, as mentioned a mate and I took down a goodly proportion of an old Fig tree with branches up to 6" think and it coped very well. I use it a lot on various saplings, both exotic and indigenous, with great success. I have a Holly tree with a 6" trunk that needs coming out so am going to give the Leuku a try on that, but not for a few months. They were designed and used bu the Sami in the upper reaches of Scandinavia, or Lapland, to use on smaller trees in frozen conditions where an axe or hatchet would simply bounce of the piece of wood. Not to mention being a useful tool around the camp butchering and the likes. Anyway, my experience suggests they cope with Aus conditions quite well, can't see any reason why they wouldn't. (I'm starting to sound like a salesman now so I'll shutup for a while ...)

Woz

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, not a worry Woz.

Glad to hear you back them. I do like the cut on the blade. The problem with the gerber is the grind (in my opinion) is far too dull. Which makes it ok for thicker wood but a bit clumsy for finer jobs like de-limbing. Its almost like the gerber trys to fill a spot between machette and hatchet which doesnt exist.

Maybe i should do a review :)

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Tree Beaters for Oz...

Hi all...

Machetes for Oz conditions... hmmm, the best I can recomend from my own use would be the Army Golok or a Khukuri, both have served me well from out back travel to jungle trekking in far north QLD... another good one is the Golok Potong sold by Valiant Co. over in WA. http://www.valiantco.com/ just look under Java 1 and scroll down, it will be on the right hand side.

These are my tree beaters...
Top down: Indian Army Khukri, UK MoD Issue Khukri, Golok Potong (Malay), Klewang (Indonesian), ADF Golok.
Left: Coldsteel Tomahwk
Right: GB Small Forest Axe
Bottom: Bark River Northstar (2007 edition.), Hand made leather 18th Centuary double pocket shot pouch.

Safe trails...

Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow nice collection there mate!

Yeah i recon the army golok will be the way to go. though I do like the look of the potong. looks like from the shape it would suit a wrist heavy action, is that correct at all?

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Cheers Blake...

The Army Golok is a good blade, high carbon steel and easy to sharpen.
The Potong is quite blade heavy, but good for the wrist heavy method, it's actually very comfortable to swing and even for its small size very efficiant to use.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I like Helle knives a lot. But then, I like Puukkos and Leukus in general.

As I say, I use the Lapplander (Leuku) quite a lot and it copes with Aussie timbers very well. I remove a garden shed recently from under an old fig tree that was slowly crushing said shed. We had to take half the fig tree out to get the shed out - and all we had was the Lapplander. Easy Peasy.

As to Helle knives in general, perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

Woz
Helle Knives are what got me into knifemaking. I love them, I wish i owned a few more!

regarding the topic however, my advice is make one from a leaf spring.... If you are not happy, modify or make another... I have not made a machete yet... A Leuku is definitely higher up the list though!!!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, not a worry Woz.

Glad to hear you back them. I do like the cut on the blade. The problem with the gerber is the grind (in my opinion) is far too dull. Which makes it ok for thicker wood but a bit clumsy for finer jobs like de-limbing. Its almost like the gerber trys to fill a spot between machette and hatchet which doesnt exist.

Maybe i should do a review :)
I was told this a number of years ago by a machete fan. The trick to Machetes is sharpening, as I understand it, you use different angles depending on the portion of the blade, and the work that part of the blade normally carries out. for example (and I am no expert on machete's mind you) The part closest to the handle is sharpened to a small angle, like 17 Deg for careful cutting and detail work, and the 1/2 closest the tip is sharpened at a blunter angle, like 30 deg for holding up with hard chopping tasks without going blunt to quick... There was more to it than that, but I wasn't really paying attention... My vision is always clouded by Scandinavian knives... They used to make Leukus that could cut fencing wire without damaging the edge. The ultimate tool for Laplander people.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got myself a Leuku I have to say in is a very versatile tool..Well worth a looking at getting one I say blake.