can anyone help identifying these fruits?

SHADOWFOX

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day All.
So I went for a bit of a wander the other day around Collins beach, near Manly, on Sydney's Northern Beaches. There has apparently been a lot of rain in the area recently and quite a warm winter so far. I noticed a lot of the trees in the area still had fruit on them. I have just started taking an interest in native bush-foods and so I thought I would take some photos to try and identify these fruits. However, my local library and my attempts to google them have so far returned no positive results. If anyone here could help, or point me in the direction of a decent resource that might be of use, it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

20150622_133510.jpg 20150622_133146.jpg 20150622_133136.jpg 20150622_134914.jpg 20150622_143144.jpg

Attachments

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The two pics in the middle may be of wombat berry (orange fruit) and blueberry ash (blue berry).
Hard to be 100% sure from photos.
I have found Tim Low's books especially "Wild Food Plants of Australia' to be an excellent source of info
on wild edibles.

SHADOWFOX

Russell Coight
Reaction score
thanks guys. sorry about the crappy pics, I only had my phone on me. and thanks especially Hairyman, the book sounds like it would be an invaluable asset to have to help me in my new found hobby. I'll be making that purchase ASAP

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The top one looks like broad leaf privet, but as hairyman said it's hard to be sure. Privet berries are poisonous so don't eat them.

Last edited: