Camo nets

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi all,

Further to my interests with stealth camping, I am looking to purchase or make 2 camo nets. One for my car and one for my camp area. I am just wondering if any of you have already explored this venture and can comment on their experiences and maybe offer some suggestions?

I am having some trouble matching an off-the-shelf-net to my area, but woodland seems to look suitable.

From what I have seen online, I guess if one made their own camo net, it would virtually be perfect for the environment they are operating in. It seems they can be made from natural materials like burlap, which is one big plus and ties in with the theme of traditional bush-craft.

The downside is if seen with a homemade net, which seems unlikely, I may look like a form of lost forgotten slightly evolved cave-man inhabitants from the movie the Hills Have Eyes or Calvary:rolleyes: In which case I wont need a camo net at all, as I will probably have scared the entire Outback population away:LOL:

However there seems to be some disadvantages with ho,e made camo nets, like, weight, reduced life and a lot of time and effort spent making one.

The type of country I am working with: semi-arid, brush-land consisting of health and short trees. The ground is a reddy ochre colour.

These grey short bushes, red ground and pale green trees have got me stumped! I have no idea what would work in this country. From What I have seen though woodland camo netting seems to be 'OK'.

I have thought about setting up camp close to taller trees for shade, ridge-line support and cover.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi all,

Further to my interests with stealth camping, I am looking to purchase or make 2 camo nets. One for my car and one for my camp area. I am just wondering if any of you have already explored this venture and can comment on their experiences and maybe offer some suggestions?

I am having some trouble matching an off-the-shelf-net to my area, but woodland seems to look suitable.

From what I have seen online, I guess if one made their own camo net, it would virtually be perfect for the environment they are operating in. It seems they can be made from natural materials like burlap, which is one big plus and ties in with the theme of traditional bush-craft.

The downside is if seen with a homemade net, which seems unlikely, I may look like a form of lost forgotten slightly evolved cave-man inhabitants from the movie the Hills Have Eyes or Calvary:rolleyes: In which case I wont need a camo net at all, as I will probably have scared the entire Outback population away:LOL:

However there seems to be some disadvantages with ho,e made camo nets, like, weight, reduced life and a lot of time and effort spent making one.

The type of country I am working with: semi-arid, brush-land consisting of health and short trees. The ground is a reddy ochre colour.

These grey short bushes, red ground and pale green trees have got me stumped! I have no idea what would work in this country. From What I have seen though woodland camo netting seems to be 'OK'.

I have thought about setting up camp close to taller trees for shade, ridge-line support and cover.
Seems to me mate that what you need is a canvas/oil cloth the colour of the soil.
Keith.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Seems to me mate that what you need is a canvas/oil cloth the colour of the soil.
Keith.

Thanks Keith. A few people online mention blending in with the soil, as the eyes are naturally dawn toward the tress. I found some red ochre out here, so I could even try that!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
For your car, I’m guessing you would be parking under a tree so the ground colour won’t matter and I would use some burlap or scrim on the windscreen and then a 3x5m woodland net from eBay for 40 bucks. As mentioned before, unless you are avoiding enemy bombers, leave the roof and the safe sides clear. If you are parking in the open, then more difficult, but you want to break up silhouette, rather than get a perfect match. Anyone who is looking hard will find you from your tire tracks initially. I’m guessing you just want to avoid a casual observer being drawn to your camp. Your Auscam tarps that you have posted up previously do a good job.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
For your car, I’m guessing you would be parking under a tree so the ground colour won’t matter and I would use some burlap or scrim on the windscreen and then a 3x5m woodland net from eBay for 40 bucks. As mentioned before, unless you are avoiding enemy bombers, leave the roof and the safe sides clear. If you are parking in the open, then more difficult, but you want to break up silhouette, rather than get a perfect match. Anyone who is looking hard will find you from your tire tracks initially. I’m guessing you just want to avoid a casual observer being drawn to your camp. Your Auscam tarps that you have posted up previously do a good job.

Hi Thrud. Thanks for the tips on concealment(y) Yeah, you are right. Car will be parked next to trees and only visible if you drove right down an abandoned track. And that is if it wasn't covered! I plan to cover the car. (Family have my GPS coordinates). Then plan to have some netting on two or three sides of the camp, so I can look out onto the bush land. Not easy to find someone out here even with tyre tracks as these tracks are used frequently, depending on how deep you go in and believe me you a can go in deep and I have! On the abandoned track you can also drive or walk over ground cover making your tracks harder to see. Mainly just for interest, fun, privacy etc, but also for animal observation/ photography, avoiding wild dogs and any people potentially looking for trouble. There are camo nets on Ebay as low as $15. I don't know how good they are though.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
There's some sandy colored shade cloth you can get, which when it gets older and dirty the better it is for camouflage.

Its really cheap too , around 11$ a Metre here , last I checked, for a 3.6 metre wide strip.

I prefer it doubled over, it has probably less chance of blowing away and flapping around, and makes a really good camp area floor as well.

Thanks. Is the material you speak of made of nylon? Or do you mean burlap? Burlap is basically natural hessian material from what I hear. You can spray it easily. It seems good, but I'm guessing its quite heavy and may tear easily/ drop fibers.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I would buy a cheap desert style camo net from ebay and modified it with fabric and spray paint match better local vegetation.

These photos are of a basic shelter put up next to the bank of the river I saw this when out fishing and take it is a local homeless mans set up.
As you can see it is a camo net that is not well matched to bush around it at all.I saw it pretty fast myself and called out and had a peek inside.I watched and noted that others fishing on the bank that passed by did not spot it..2619026191

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I would avoid lots of scrim/burlap apart from the areas above. It soaks up any moisture becomes very heavy and rots, the new camo nets don’t hold much weather are lighter but a bit noisier

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I would buy a cheap desert style camo net from ebay and modified it with fabric and spray paint match better local vegetation.

These photos are of a basic shelter put up next to the bank of the river I saw this when out fishing and take it is a local homeless mans set up.
As you can see it is a camo net that is not well matched to bush around it at all.I saw it pretty fast myself and called out and had a peek inside.I watched and noted that others fishing on the bank that passed by did not spot it..View attachment 26190View attachment 26191

View attachment 26189

Interesting find mate! He's made an effort that's for sure. Crikey why pay rates or rent when you can live down the beach camping 24/7 like that! Knowing my luck I'd probably get caught though :)

Yes modding a desert net should work wonders. The modded desert one would disappear I reckon. Apparently peoples eyes are not drawn to terrain as much as they are too trees! I actually did briefly think of it, but I wasn't sure if the paint would stick or not:rolleyes:

I think I need two nets for different terrain, ground and foliage. Colour is important, but as Thrud mentioned I don't think I have to over do it, as long as I break up shapes. Even an light olive drab should work well if in a tree line.

At least for now I think I am going to go for the plastic leafy net, as its light and can be carried in a pack as well as a car. A oil skin or natural option like Keith and Kindling suggested would be nice too. I tend to like both! I have a lot of army gear, but also interested in collecting vintage bush-craft gear, like yourself.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Now to put it into practice and report back(y)

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay found this ebay for $40 odd..You could add some ripped potato sacks lay dead branches over the roof and bonnet.

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
For the car, how about a nice paintjob to match the red dirt there. Make it matte color so it doesnt reflect sunlight, expensive option i know but something to consider, you could also get a plastic wrap done for a lot less if you wanted to.

Vinyl car wraps.

Id get this done if i knew how to do it myself.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Okay found this ebay for $40 odd..You could add some ripped potato sacks lay dead branches over the roof and bonnet.

View attachment 26192

I decided to go with you're desert theme idea, thanks. Part of the reason is I noticed that a lot of the lower vegetation, around the base of trees and bushed was brown. I thought this is the height a camp would normally be located at. Camouflaging a camp around dead scrub also gives me more open space to move and less chance of creepy crawly, as opposed to under trees. I also heard the eyes are more drawn to green vegetation and aren't usually looking for you on the ground or in dead scrub. This net should also work in the field with the red dirt and those small shrubs, however.

What do you think of this net I found in the Netherlands. The picture doesn't do it justice, but I even managed to match the shadows of the trees with the net to my environment, and if you look to the left of the inserted square the earth looks the same colour! The inserted picture lacks 3-dimensional imaging in this shot, but gives you an idea of the match. It looks pretty amazing in the original picture, let alone how it would look in real life:cool:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a good match and my work a bit better that brown tone one... End of the day it is a big white van that's hard thing to hide .Your not going to see it from a distance with a net and all the white covered. If you get closer the game will be up, but better concealment it my effect the distance it is spotted

When I look a old footage from WW2 I often see German vehicles covered with heaps and heaps of foliage. This was more because they where worried about air attack mostly. I would try something like that to break up the shape,the net is just the background..