Bushlore Australia (QLD)

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I've contacted these guys in person, they're really great folks. He's a former SAS survival trainer... they work out of the sunshine coast... I've not been on their courses yet, but they seem the real deal for sure...

GB

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Good to hear mate... I'm thinking of doing a couple of their courses when I get back to Oz...

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive also been thinking about doing some of their courses with a mate of mine. Good to hear that they come well regarded.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Rich at Bushlore is a champion bloke and knows his stuff big time. I have spoken to him on a few occasions and he always does his utmost to support the store and get items from an Aussie seller which is awesome. They also put out a newsletter if you subscribe to them which always has some great info. I have hosted their newsletters on the site for members to download and read at their leisure.

Bushlore Australia Newsletters

All Newsletters are in PDF format

* Bush Lore Newsletter Summer 2011
* Bush Lore Newsletter Autumn 2012
* Bush Lore Newsletter Winter 2012
* Bush Lore Newsletter Spring 2012

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Now I have no problem with these type of schools but other than the training and experience you get from this what qualification do you get that would be recognisable to the outdoor industry?
There has been much debate on BcUK about this. If it is just for your hobby then that is great as it is a structured course that you will walk away from with a skill set to work on and improve.
But If I went for employment as a trainer other than a TAE certIV to teach what else do I need?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Cert IV in Outdoor Recreation with a great variety of different skills. Wilderness First Aid is often a pre-req or part thereof. Previous experience in a chosen speciality such as white water, sea kayaking, bushwalking or abseiling is usually preferred. And that's just the beginning.
Cheers
Bloffy

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
To give formal Quals. a school has to be an "RTO" Registered Training Organisation... many in Australia have not taken this step because of the paperwork and insurance nightmare that follows once you apply... there are a few out there who have taken this step, but not specifically for bushcraft/survival skills, usually it is added onto an outdoor/mountain leader type of course as an intermediate/advanced subject or as part of a year long course.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I would like to do some sort of course but don't know if I could afford it, does anyone know what sort of prices they are asking for "Cert IV in Outdoor Recreation" course ?

winesknives

Russell Coight
Reaction score

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done most of Rich's courses at Bushlore, including both Basic and Advanced Survival, Tracking, Hunting and Trapping, and Survival Meat Preservation. I can't recommend Bushlore highly enough. Rich has a wealth of experience, having been a survival and tracking instructor in Aussie SF, yet he does not deliver his courses in a regimental military style, rather he delves right into the philosophy and mindset of survival as well as the tools and techniques. His approach is one of 'Man with Nature' instead of 'Man vs Wild'. The Bushlore school is situated outside of Maleny in SEQ - a very scenic area. Even for those with limited or no bush experience, you are sure to walk out of a Bushlore course with a new appreciation of the wilds and the confidence to wander through it.

Cam

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I agree with the above - from doing their Tracking course they are a fine bunch.

winesknives

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I agree with the above - from doing their Tracking course they are a fine bunch.
Hi Cam and DavoAnth. Rich is running another Hunting & Trapping course next weekend (8-9/02/2014) and I have been invited to spend a day with him. I feel very lucky to be invited and rather excited.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Gary Wines
www.facebook.com/winesqualityknives