Bushcraft Muster or Bushcraft Moot?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Well as most are probably more aware than me, Bushcraft UK run their Bush Moot every year, which is bigger than Ben-Hur.

So how about it Guys and Gals? Can we do the same down here in Aus?

Select a location, run activities and demonstrations, advertise and promote via the various outdoor stores and forums, its a lot of work, but well there are 500 + people on here now, if we could get 50 people all in the one place it would be pretty cool... maybe even get some media coverage if we are smart about it.

Whats your thoughts on holding the first inaugural BuscraftOZ Muster?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea, but !

... The thing which makes me hesitate is the travel time and distance involved.

Many organizations have meetings and folk fly in etc, often this is paid for by work, or at least tax deductable.

Its a great idea, I'm just not sure that I can make it, unless its a local venue ...

Keen to see what others think.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Corin Brillant idea, I too want to get your newsletter.

I would suggest if the first one is to difficult to arrange in one state , why not do a state moot all on same weekend with someone videoing each of the states meets to show here on the forum.
But would be keen as you are on one big meet for all, am open to suggestions on location

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Corin Brillant idea, I too want to get your newsletter.

I would suggest if the first one is to difficult to arrange in one state , why not do a state moot all on same weekend with someone videoing each of the states meets to show here on the forum.
But would be keen as you are on one big meet for all, am open to suggestions on location

The Multi-Muster (Multi-Moot) - Sounds workable

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Great idea, not fond of the name moot.
Muster sounds good & very Aussie.
The logistics involved in meeting up for those in the UK is nothing compared to us. This country is about 1,000,000 times bigger & flights cost more.

Maybe an East Coast/West Coast, North/South Muster would be more pheasable. Start small & let progress take it's course.

I am very keen to meet up with a few & learn a thing or three.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I like moot. Reminds me of the Ent Moot from Tolkien.
But maybe it's a moot point...

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the idea of a Bushcraft Muster. I would love to see this happen. I think it would be a big project but doable. I'm not confident at this stage that we have the kind of numbers..... just yet to pull it off but I think in the future is something that would definitely work. As mentioned. With the amount of travel involved and how far apart people are spread we would need to be confident of getting enough people.

Location would be a big thing to sort out. I have my property but its mostly grazing land and the forested section is quite sloped. Good for hammocks or small groups but not something of this scale.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Muster is a bit cliche these days, reminds me of bad B&S balls and drunken yobs, and Moot is a little old (from Anglo-Saxon to meet) The "All Thing" is the old Norse version of the yearly meeting... how about Gathering or is that too Scottish?

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
How about "p*** up" seeing as it could end up that way if beer is allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The name is irrelevant. It would be a communal get together of like minded people sharing skills and knowledge. We could have opportunity for members to have a area to sell their wares be it leather work, knives, clothing etc. There could also be bush tucker walks, fire lighting workshops, navigation, water treatment, water collection workshops, archery, string making, basket weaving, spoon carving. The list goes on. Obviously for it to happen you need to have a feasible number of people interested but it would certainly be something that I would be happy to dedicate a lot of time working on. Because bushcraft is very important to me and I think everyone should have the chance to learn about the bush. An event like this would ooze enthusiasm for Australian bushcraft.

It certainly wouldn't be a p*** up and I would hope those attending wouldn't spend the time and effort purchasing tickets to an event like this, traveling the distance only to spend their time drinking.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
people sharing skills and knowledge. We could have opportunity for members to have a area to sell their wares be it leather work, knives, clothing etc. There could also be bush tucker walks, fire lighting workshops, navigation, water treatment, water collection workshops, archery, string making, basket weaving, spoon carving.

It certainly wouldn't be a p*** up and I would hope those attending wouldn't spend the time and effort purchasing tickets to an event like this, traveling the distance only to spend their time drinking.
Hell yeah, that's exactly what I'd be after.
As for the p***up, yeah I enjoy a bevvy but no point ruining the next days activities for it. All in moderation.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Blake well said and agreed
I would put forward it should be over a long weekend (national) And at a location we are free to move around and make noise , If a private land is used nationall parks should be close by or easy accessable for other activities.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like we need a plan of attack !

I just threw this list up (below), but probably it needs a small working group to put together a broad plan and start to fill in the details, then get some feedback from the community and decide where to take it.

Locations - what criteria ?

Focus - families ? Education ? Sharing ? Social ? Don't want to scare anyone with too much auscam !

Activities - buy/swap/sell/demos/workshops/ any commercial outlets invited ?

Camping facilities - with a big group you will need more than just "the bush"

Who to invite/publicity - BCoz members / BCoz lurkers / general public / other groups or interested parties ?

Any rules and regulation for the muster itself ? No BANGs ?

Safety/First Aid - esp with sharp things

When - it may or may not be good to choose the same weekend for all musters - need to work this through.
If a national long weekend is chosen (to allow travel etc) then perhaps its OK, but it may be easier to manage and coordinate separately ? Otherwise states tend to have differing hols, so that's more options available.
Probably need to be mindful of school hols

It is possible that each muster (in each location) may have slightly different things going on - due to numbers, preferences, availability etc and there may or may not be enough enthusiasm to have one everywhere.
Some folk may wish to attend more than one event, if the dates are staggered, or send their wares to a trusted person to make them available at that muster ?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Once we get a site and date worked out, it might be good to get volunteers for workshops. Or people can put forward ideas for workshops they'd like to do and then a member can volunteer themselves to run it. For instance, I'd like to learn more about knapping.

Alcohol, a group of men and sharps.... bad combination.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Don't want to scare anyone with too much auscam !
Auscam is so 20th century, multicam is where it's at. Luckily for us it still new enough to cost more than rednecks are willing to pay.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like we need a plan of attack !

I just threw this list up (below), but probably it needs a small working group to put together a broad plan and start to fill in the details, then get some feedback from the community and decide where to take it.

Locations - what criteria ?

Focus - families ? Education ? Sharing ? Social ? Don't want to scare anyone with too much auscam !

Activities - buy/swap/sell/demos/workshops/ any commercial outlets invited ?

Camping facilities - with a big group you will need more than just "the bush"

Who to invite/publicity - BCoz members / BCoz lurkers / general public / other groups or interested parties ?

Any rules and regulation for the muster itself ? No BANGs ?

Safety/First Aid - esp with sharp things

When - it may or may not be good to choose the same weekend for all musters - need to work this through.
If a national long weekend is chosen (to allow travel etc) then perhaps its OK, but it may be easier to manage and coordinate separately ? Otherwise states tend to have differing hols, so that's more options available.
Probably need to be mindful of school hols

It is possible that each muster (in each location) may have slightly different things going on - due to numbers, preferences, availability etc and there may or may not be enough enthusiasm to have one everywhere.
Some folk may wish to attend more than one event, if the dates are staggered, or send their wares to a trusted person to make them available at that muster ?
One more key thing, the event would need insurance.

How about the Australia Day long weekend in January?

As for location, I can make inquiries about getting the same location as last January's Meet for NSW, but happy for anyone else to come up with something better. There is enough room to camp hundreds of people and lots of room for activities, stalls, whatever.

I think Invites should go out to all related forums, Hammock forums, swag forums, bush food forums, camping forums.

States should form working groups to organize and plan. I am more than happy to put my hand up but can't do it all....

Could not care less what we call it.

There is a few more thoughts.