Bushcraft mods to your BLV

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mickldo do you run swaybar disconnects or just none at all?
My old 80 had no sway bars at all. Shh don't tell anyone. I did 180,000km like that.

My current HZJ105R GXL still has the sway bars as this one is more for touring rather than hardcore. It's nice to know that if I need a bit more flex it doesn't take long to remove them.

The front sway bar is super easy to make quick disconnects but the rear hangs down under the axle, so if disconnected but not removed it will drag on the ground. you could disconnect one side but only receive half the added flex.

My ideal set up is to somehow fit some swaybars from the 200 series. They have an active sway bar system that I really like.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mick
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions I think you are right staying with standard 2" kit cheers
yes it is for touring and I have 2 vehicles in my site a 100 and a GU both very cheap and low KM for the cars, the 100 has not gone on the market as yet but will in the next week or two.
I am waiting for a safety check on it the GU is a new trade in on the market not on floor yet waiting for the spit and polish coverup. the Gu looks factory the 100 has mods but neither have winches or tow bars good news but not for wallet

<snip>
something like this would suit me http://www.army-technology.com/projects/bushmaster/
What motor does the GU have? Like I said I'm not a Patrol fan but my preference is for the 4.2L rather than the 3L. The 3L has had issues and most have been fixed now but I am still not convinced.

What model 100 series? Most of the 100s have IFS and while fine for touring they don't have the flex of a solid axle rig off road. Patrols, 80s and 105 series Cruisers have solid axles. The 105 series are only available with the 6cyl petrol and the naturally aspirated diesel 1HZ motors. Most are the standard base models but for a couple of short years they did the 105 in the GXL variant. That is what mine is, a HZJ105 GXL, the only model with a diesel motor, solid axles and constant 4wd. Alright, it doesn't have a turbo and is slow as IE6 on dial up but they are a great reliable motor and an aftermarket turbo makes them awesome. I had a DTS turbo on my HZJ80 GXL and it made it a whole new car. I am in the middle of fitting a turbo and intercooler to the 100.

The Bushmaster would be awesome but I'd prefer a Unimog!