Bushcraft mods to your BLV

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Not saying don't, but air tanks are pressure vessels, and subject to design codes in Australia, like AS1210. Input pressure regulation and saftey valves are likely to be required too. You should at least do some hoop stress calculations to check the suitability of your chosen design. Condensate drains that operate on an unleveled vehicle will be needed too. You might find the total weight is quite high, and a tank off a commercial direct drive compressor will have lower weight and capital cost.

http://www.kasa.com.au/PressureVessels.pdf as1210 rundown

www.materialsengineer.com/DA-Pressure-Vessel.htm a listing of failure modes for pressure vessels.

Last edited:

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
These ones are pretty old but are the only shots of it packed up

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good lift kit too, or it will be a bit of squeeze hang – I’m thinking Monster Truck ? :_risata:

LOL. Yeah reading what I wrote made it very vague.

Ok, I meant to have some upside down "L" hook points on the bumper bars, so I could hang my hammocks off the side of the landcruiser.
I would install and remove the "L" as they are needed.
This would be useful in places where it is difficult to get the right trees to hang.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying don't, but air tanks are pressure vessels, and subject to design codes in Australia, like AS1210. Input pressure regulation and saftey valves are likely to be required too. You should at least do some hoop stress calculations to check the suitability of your chosen design. Condensate drains that operate on an unleveled vehicle will be needed too. You might find the total weight is quite high, and a tank off a commercial direct drive compressor will have lower weight and capital cost.

www.materialsengineer.com/DA-Pressure-Vessel.htm a listing of failure modes for pressure vessels.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, so I'm curious as to how to go about it; unless one puts a pre-existing tank into the bar structure itself ?

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
My last stint in the tent we had two massive storms two nights in a row and I was really pleased, I think having it mounted a little lower helps, plus I have heavy leafs in the lux so she's a little stiff. Cheers for the tip on the PVC Mick, I'm using six pipe clamps to locate it length ways in the tray, the clamps have a rubber sleeve so hope it helps.

PS for anyone thinking about buying/making a tank, my PVC one ended up costing as much as a bcf black water tank.... I just have more options with it.

Gelandangan I was thinking the same thing with my rear bar, but with air... I want it to be a tank for my compressor.
Yeah, a BumpyLux would be a bit stiffer than my 80 with flexy coils and no sway bars.:_sii:

The rubber sleeved clamps should do the trick for the water tank. Where are you going to mount it?

Don't forget if you do an air tank to fit a drain to the bottom so you can remove the condensation.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mick I had the same worries with the tent set up, been thinking of transferring it to a trailer , originally had plans to make drop down legs but I like to keep it simple
The legs are readily available and are simple to use. They might be able to be made if you were handy with a welder and had some box section and booker rod.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have a heavy duty 3 ton back bumper on my series 80 Landcruiser, thats where I think I would place the water tank.
It wont be too large in capacity, maybe only about 50 or so liters, just good enough to use a few days.

There is another thing I would add to the car, a hammock hanging points between the front bumper to the back bumper.
A lot depends on spring rates so hang 50kg off the back of the car and measure how much the suspension sags compared to unladen. I fitted an ARB twin pivot rear bar to my 80 and it sagged the suspension over 2" at the back. I had a 2" lift so it was lower than stock. I ended up fitting a 4" lift with HD coils in the rear as well as 30mm spacers in the rear to get it sitting level.

The hammock hanging points sound great, especially if you had an awning out the side too. Before I fitted my awning to my 105 I used to string a tarp between my mates roofrack and mine and we'd lay our swags down between. It worked pretty well for a cheap, easy set up.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score

I agree. Most of the bumper tanks I have seen have been made by qualified boilermakers and have been very well engineered. On my own cruiser I use a ready made air tank tucked up underneath between the chassis and sill and protected by the rock sliders. It is more than possible to use the bumpers as air tanks but you need to do your research.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
LOL. Yeah reading what I wrote made it very vague.

Ok, I meant to have some upside down "L" hook points on the bumper bars, so I could hang my hammocks off the side of the landcruiser.
I would install and remove the "L" as they are needed.
This would be useful in places where it is difficult to get the right trees to hang.
This reminds me of a cool mod I saw years ago on an 80 somewhere on the web. Under his roofrack he had two tent poles that telescoped in when not in use and when they were out to the side they formed the top to his shower enclosure. His enclosure had loops at the top that slipped over the extended pole so they just hung with no need for any other poles, pegs or ropes.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, so I'm curious as to how to go about it; unless one puts a pre-existing tank into the bar structure itself ?
Basically the entire bar would need to be engineered to have the tank incorporated right from the start. The simplest design I have seen is a tube style bar made from say 50mm heavy wall tube. You could run two or three tubes and join them together to give the capacity you require. If you didn't like the look of that style you could do it from fabricated sheet steel but they would probably need to be designed by somebody with experience in designing pressure vessels.

The main reason I don't like the air tank in the bumper though on my own rig is I play in the rocks a bit, and if you ever saw the scrapes and gouges I have in my bumpers you'd know why I wouldn't want mine pressurised. But as I said before that is just my opinion and you may not play as hardcore as me and it would be fine for your usage.

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
What model Cruiser? I have a 99 HZJ105 GXL Cruiser. The 1HZ motor in my opinion is a great outback motor. Simple, reliable, torquey, reasonably fuel efficient for their size. My last Cruiser was a HZJ80 GXL that I put a turbo on as well as just about every other mod you could think of. The turbo totally transformed the vehicle. I will be doing the same to the 105 very soon.
Nice vehicle, here is mine with Camprite in tow. Has a Pioneer roofrack, featherlite awning and 80 watts of solar fixed on the roof since this photo.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Nice vehicle, here is mine with Camprite in tow. Has a Pioneer roofrack, featherlite awning and 80 watts of solar fixed on the roof since this photo.
<snip>
Nice truck. How do you like the Camprite? I just have a cheapy camper trailer that I have modified myself but the Camprite or the ModCon are the two campers I like and would consider trading up to if I could decide which one. How easy is the camper to set up? I like the layout of the beds but I reckon the tent wouldn't be easy as some other tents. How do find the kitchen?

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Love it and could not imagine another camper being better. 10 minute setup for an overnighter or around 45 min to do the big setup with full annex, solar blanket and all our other essentials for a longer stay. The kitchen is great as it can be used while packing up and after. I tend to pack in the mornings while my wife does breakfast to keep the kids occupied.

Full setup

Overnighter

Kitchen

Queen bed and storage (home built)

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Love it and could not imagine another camper being better. 10 minute setup for an overnighter or around 45 min to do the big setup with full annex, solar blanket and all our other essentials for a longer stay. The kitchen is great as it can be used while packing up and after. I tend to pack in the mornings while my wife does breakfast to keep the kids occupied.

<snip>
Thanks for the photos Burnsy. Like I said I like both campers but I have visited the ModCon factory in BrisVegas and had a real close look at them but I haven't had a good look at the Camprite yet. Everything I have read about them on http://www.myswag.org has been nothing but praise.