Bushcraft memes and pics.

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have a mate named Tim who I camp a lot with. It's become a common phrase among my mates to "Don't be like Tim".

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi,

How did you get the picture or our corroboree? It was held in Broke in 2017. We have one every year and it is an important cultural event with men coming from around much of eastern Australia to participate.

We scrub up well ay!

KB

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I cant remember where I got it from, it was too spectacular not to copy. Which one is you KB?

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm Not visible in that picture.

To see how the corroboree looks, check this: (we hold a corroboree annually, generally in the Hunter but we move around the place as our members come from all over). This is a compilation of our Cowra Corroboree which will feature on NITV sometime in the next 12 months or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FATeIsen7U

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi Hairyman,

At Cowra we had inches of rain fall on the day of the corroboree.

Our men danced to stop the rain and just as we were due to start a rainbow formed, the rain stopped and an eagle flew over the site. (And that's not the only time that has happened).

We danced but, our paint ups were washed off by the rain.

The day before the corroboree saw our men hold stone tool making, dance, wooden artefact making, spear throwing, cultural burn workshops etc with kids/community from local schools. It was mad.

FYI: in the video url I sent you, can hear me singing two dances: one about burning country and the other about plovers looking after family. Check it from the 16.19 minute mark.

Let me know if you want to know what the words are and what the songs are about

KB

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, what is it about?
My wife is about to attend “Deadly Didge N Dance Festival” for Palm Island's
centenary of establishment.
Unfortunately I have burned all my leave up recently due to illness and cant go.

Last edited:

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The first damnce is about burning country.

Was in lake Mungo area and we did a cultural burn of the country at night. The dance came from that experience. You see in the first section, lines of dancers moving forward to set fire to the grass (spinifex). In the second cut you see them moving around and stopping with their hands mimicing the flames while they shake a leg. In the last section they move in a circle as the country is now healed. I returned to the place 4 years later and a serious fire had ripped through the area. Everything above the ground had been killed (mulga and spinifex country with some belah woodland too). One area was green and OK: the bit we'd burned. Like everything in Aboriginal lore, fire is a living thing.

The second dance is about plovers protecting their children and driving away someone who threatens them. It's designed as an entertaining performance buit it has a serious message as the threat could be any sort of wrong thing that can affect a family or a community drugs, sexual abuse, law breaking etc. It's a reminder to adults to keep community safe.

KB