Bushcraft axe review

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I went back to the second hand store today and had a look at the other axe they had there. Sure enough it said plumb on the head.
Small head though , near half the size , and they had 65$ on it.
Maybe they're aware it's worth something.
On my first visit I thought it was expensive for an old axe.
Probably be treasure to someone out there.
I think that is the general consensus - that old axes are now overpriced. Plumb made lots of different axes - the one you saw may have been in the "boys axe" category. If that's your interest, have an idea of what the axe head originally looked like. I've seen some plumbs for sale that are very worn from a long life of sharpening - I could see the difference. Your hytest does not look worn. I think howling dingo has an interest in old axes. You might be able to show him a photo of something if you're interested in it. You could make an offer of what you would be comfortable paying for it too.

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I think that is the general consensus - that old axes are now overpriced. Plumb made lots of different axes - the one you saw may have been in the "boys axe" category. If that's your interest, have an idea of what the axe head originally looked like. I've seen some plumbs for sale that are very worn from a long life of sharpening - I could see the difference. Your hytest does not look worn. I think howling dingo has an interest in old axes. You might be able to show him a photo of something if you're interested in it. You could make an offer of what you would be comfortable paying for it too.
I'm happy with what I have, here's a couple pics I took of it . It says plumb U s a on the head. Your right about that too , it being worn well down on one side of the edge more than the other , complete with a split un usable handle.

The little fella next to it is the smallest I've seen, about 4 inches wide the head. 2726027261

Keep in mind this phone makes things close seem big , and far away things seem small. It's a small plumb head despite the aspect here.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You got the good axe :) That little one looks as though it has been re purposed, as though it was ground down in an attempt to make it a useful hatchet.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I still have my cheap axes - one large (80cm, 1.6kg) and a hatchet. I've been using them to process wood. 5mins of chainsaw work usually equates to a further 30mins or so of axe work. I use the hatchet for lopping off smaller branches and chopping up to about 2" wide branches for kindling. I use the axe for cutting up to 3" size branches for stove use - generally 1 - 3 chops. Everything bigger is for the chainsaw.

I'm in a facebook group - axe junkies. Many of the members are into form over function, which is lost on me. One of the members posted some of his work - which looks great. Way out of my price range (in US $) for what I do - but some here may appreciate his skill and design. if my axe handle breaks I have my eye on a $22 dollar axe in bunnings that looks perfect for me (see below). It's a bit heavier and a bit longer than what seems to suit me; most others are too short and heavy.

saxon axe.jpg

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I thought about going that way a couple weeks ago too when I saw those axes.
If the head stays on and handle holds up , then that’s a bargain.

Busted a handle a couple weeks ago , ended up driving to a rural town to check out their ag. Shops and came across a hardware store that had spotted gum handles.
The guy there said they usually have hickory too.

Right around the 20$ Ish cost for spotted gum.

Seems there’s a supply issue on the handles at a few other stores I tried first.
Hence going the extra miles to source something decent.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I thought about going that way a couple weeks ago too when I saw those axes.
If the head stays on and handle holds up , then that’s a bargain.

Busted a handle a couple weeks ago , ended up driving to a rural town to check out their ag. Shops and came across a hardware store that had spotted gum handles.
The guy there said they usually have hickory too.

Right around the 20$ Ish cost for spotted gum.

Seems there’s a supply issue on the handles at a few other stores I tried first.
Hence going the extra miles to source something decent.
The axe community has been saying that the interest in axes has grown a lot over the last 10 years or so. That might account for the lack of axe handles to some degree? Old axes are generally overpriced, although people (like you) are still finding some good buys.

That sounds a reasonable price. Do they come with a wedge? The beauty of my cheap axes is I use them and sharpen them. I'm no expert at sharpening, but they're sharp. I have also re profiled the area behind the edge on the hatchet. I think I could do some more there because I only use it for cutting. So, they are great for a learner, which is what I am.

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The axe community has been saying that the interest in axes has grown a lot over the last 10 years or so. That might account for the lack of axe handles to some degree? Old axes are generally overpriced, although people (like you) are still finding some good buys.

That sounds a reasonable price. Do they come with a wedge? The beauty of my cheap axes is I use them and sharpen them. I'm no expert at sharpening, but they're sharp. I have also re profiled the area behind the edge on the hatchet. I think I could do some more there because I only use it for cutting. So, they are great for a learner, which is what I am.
It’s funny how old things are becoming scarce , and Much more so in cities .
Becoming trendy especially there , and the prices go up.
Who would have thought rusty old tin would be sought after.
Bought a few old rusty rabbits traps a while ago ,
The asking price was 45$ From memory each , I got the price down to 100$ for 3.

They’re not legal to use in peace time :) and I’m not that hungry , so they’re officially ‘wall hangers ‘ .

The spotted gum handles did not come with a wedge , have to purchase that separately.

I still have the metal wedge that came with the axe when I got it.

I still see a bit of old axe turnover every now and then at the second hand store .

The prices are a bit rich for some things ,others not. sometimes if
You really want something you have to pay .

Glad I haven’t developed an axe fetish myself .

It’s a necessity sometimes clearing , I do appreciate rustic things though .