Bush Tucker Field Guide by Les Hiddins

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Can't Believe this one hasn't been posted yet!

Bush Tucker Field Guide by Les Hiddins

Quick review: A great little field guide detailing over 170 species from our tropical north. the book is divided into colour coded sections based on the type of plant or animal you have found.
These sections are:
Flora: aquatic, grass, herb, palm, parasite, shrub, tree & vine.
Fauna: bird, fish, insect/grub, reptile & shellfish.

Each species has its own page in the book with latin name, distribution map, great color photo, description, natural or cultural history facts, uses and other names.

Particularly interesting or common toxic & non native species are also featured such as the Cycads & bush lemon. This is the field guide version of the Bush Tucker Guide in Explore Australia with the Bush Tucker Man.

Good Points: well published and bound, sections easily defined by color on the page edges, visible withougt opening the book, common toxic and non native food species are also featured, tough plastic coated cover to prolong the books field life.

Not so Good Points: Very Specific to the tropical north

Overall: Great little field guide for anyone travelling up north, or living there for that matter.

From the back cover:
"Over the years I've had some pretty good teachers sharing their knowledge about bush tucker. THis field guide is your introduction to some ot that knowledge - and once you start to learn, I reckon you'll be hooked." Les Hiddins

Les Hiddins, the 'Bush Tucker Man' introduces more than 170 bush foods and medicines, from bush banana to barramundi, the gulf plum to green ant.

This pocket-sized Bush Tucker Field Guide is packed with fascinating information, and is a must have for everyone interested in unearthing Australia's remarkable wealth of bush tucker.

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
he does ones for all over oz but thay are sepert books

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've been seeing this online , prices now even going up in the hundreds :) I'll wait patiently for a cheaper copy.
However I'm absolutely sure its worth it too when it really comes down to it.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been seeing this online , prices now even going up in the hundreds :) I'll wait patiently for a cheaper copy.
However I'm absolutely sure its worth it too when it really comes down to it.
... What ??? ...

I didn't believe you so I checked myself. $143 was the best price I saw (on a quick glance). I think I paid about $15 at the time ....

... Think I'll keep it and use it as a retirement investment (either that or a house). :_risata:

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Well I went and found this book in the library ,
If any one was thinking about paying rediculously high prices online , be prepared for the size of it being so small.
I got a huge shock to find it fits on my hand and there's room for fingers visible hanging out the end.

Great little book besides all that.