Bunyip boots. Worth repairing?

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My trusty old Bunyip boots had a major failure during a hike last weekend. The vibram sole came unstuck, as luck would have it we only had about 5kms to get to the pickup point. The other boot also failed, I tested to sole and it came off also.

Are they worth repairing, they are over 15 years old now, I love them but don't want to risk future failures and I'm attracted to more modern lighter shoes.

IMG_20140422_112342.jpg

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Old boots never usually die, they just get new soles.

You could try contacting the original manufacturer Harold Boots since they'll often do repairs for no or minimal cost. The whole "soles coming off on my Bunyip boots" thing was common back in the early 00s, so the manufacturer will be familiar with your problem.

Harold Boot Company Pty Ltd
http://www.haroldboot.com.au/
170 Perry Street Fairfield Vic 3078 Australia
Ph:03 9486 3880 Fax:03 9486 3884

Adrian

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Harold Boot Co. do make some very nice boots, my father in law got me on to them a few years ago.

Fifteen years is a pretty good run, personally i'd be looking a new pair.

I have a pair of scarpa ZG10's and a pair of sneakers (can't remember the style) both were more than i wanted to spend but i can walk all day and night and day and so on with out a problem.

Lots of advances have been made in materials in 15 yrs.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.

Boots, Knives and Packs are my three biggest decisions and you don't want to get it wrong not only can it be costly but also very painful.

Good Luck and choose wisely.

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Lots of advances have been made in materials in 15 yrs.
Yes indeed! I got the bunyips in a mountains designs sale when I was working as an outdoor guide (ie: poor) They have served me well, but in warm weather they are just so damn hot.. I imagine a problem with all full-leather boots. My son got some new boots recently in a sale and they are light, comfortable and they breathe!

I'll contact Harold Boot Co. see if they can repair them and start looking at trying some modern boots.

cheers!

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I rescued a few shoes before.
Clean the surfaces up, put a layer of thin contact cements on both surfaces, wait to dry, then stick them together and bash them (or jump wearing it) to ensure good contacts.

julius

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
if the sole is good you can just reglue it with leather glue but youll have to weigh it down for a few days. i put lead shotgun shot into a sock the into the shoe and thein to of that another sack of 20kg of show. works great in the factories there is a metal or delrin foot use to press the sole.