Building permanent shelter - need input

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
hi guys,
i am going to be building a small cabin on my semi rural property as a bushcraft spot and quiet spot to escape to.
instead of just putting up a tarp and calling it good, i wanted to build something slightly more structurally sound and solid.

i have access to a number of straight native trees to use as building material. and im not averse to buying in whatever is required.

my thought was to build a 4m x 2.4m mini cabin. under 10sqm is considered a shed so no council issues. A low pitch roof for water catchment and ibc tote for water storage.
Outdoor shower + humanure sawdust toilet

the land is relatively flat where i plan on building it but it is granite + top soil. so im at a loss for foundation or should i just use some besser bricks for the corners ?

materials available: limestone blocks, besser bricks, bush poles fresh and some seasoned, clear roof sheets, metal sheets.

any input would be appreciated :)
(yes ill add pics)

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
These are trees that need to be thinned out so its not a clearing of trees ;)
I am leaving the straightest and strongest (rehabilitating the area as it used to be pastoral.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
hi guys,
i am going to be building a small cabin on my semi rural property as a bushcraft spot and quiet spot to escape to.
instead of just putting up a tarp and calling it good, i wanted to build something slightly more structurally sound and solid.

i have access to a number of straight native trees to use as building material. and im not averse to buying in whatever is required.

my thought was to build a 4m x 2.4m mini cabin. under 10sqm is considered a shed so no council issues. A low pitch roof for water catchment and ibc tote for water storage.
Outdoor shower + humanure sawdust toilet

the land is relatively flat where i plan on building it but it is granite + top soil. so im at a loss for foundation or should i just use some besser bricks for the corners ?

materials available: limestone blocks, besser bricks, bush poles fresh and some seasoned, clear roof sheets, metal sheets.

any input would be appreciated :)
(yes ill add pics)

I too have thought about the idea of the permanent structure, I just haven't pursued it because I have no where to legally to build it. I have limited knowledge in this area, but what I can tell you is that you will need some kind of insulation from the ground. For example if you lay on concrete that hasn't been barriered by that thick black plastic you see sticking up from foundations, like in some sheds, you are likely to get pneumonia. Unless you are making a bed and sleeping above ground. Same principle may apply to your floor. In certain parts of Europe they use compressed cow dung as a floor- is absorbs spills and is actually quite good. There is a bloke on You Tube who actually builds a primitive log cabin, complete with furnace and oven in the Queensland bush. Called 'Primitive Living' making a log cabin from primitive materials, or something like that. His work is quite interesting and detailed.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hi Sami. I have a great idea. Have a WA meet at your block, we all hook in and build it Armish barn style over a weekend. What do you think? Coulx be a lot of fun if youre up for it.
Cheers
Bloffy

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I like that idea Bloffy! its only 6acres close to Perth. bit of a mission for you to come up! :)
ill draw up my plans and submit them to the brains trust

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Pick a date. I'm happy to travel. Sounds like a fun project.
And I would pay good money to see Thrud on the hard end of a shovel or Redtail swinging a pick.....lol
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Here in Tassie there are lots of apple sheds. They are old wooden structures and it looks as though they've been treated with used engine oil. Most of them are sitting on foundations of rocks. I don't know whether they were like this from day one; perhaps they had wooden foundations and as they rotted away were replaced by rocks. They are very solid though, and many have been repurposed as venues etc. I've come across some old simple houses made like this too. The walls on the inside are usually lined with newspaper, which helps in getting an idea of the age of the building. I've also seen some with kerosene tins that have been spread out flat and tacked onto the weather side. Actually, it made me think; a steel beam square base; don't fight the rock!

Last edited: