Building a Canoe

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have to say my best days paddling was when I took the canoe (Pirogue) I built on it's maiden voyage with my daughter.

Pirogue first voyage 001_640x480.jpg

Pirogue first voyage 010_640x480.jpg

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've built both a sailing kayak/trimaran and a sailing dinghy. These basic design canoes are great projects and are surprisingly easier to build than some people think. (I expect that the duct tape is a temporary fixing while the epoxy in the joins cures off). This design is quite stable and carry a sizeable load. For extended cruising they need a bit of fitting out with a decent seat or two, and maybe a rudder etc. but for a 2-3 day trip this design will do the job quite nicely.
Do you have any pictures of your boats? The trimaran sounds interesting.
I did assume the duct tape was temporary, I just liked the picture. Can't imagine a canoe held together with tape lasting too long in the water. That being said the last home made canoe I saw was made of bark, and it wasn't watertight.

birder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Another weekend, and some more progress was made - I should be able to get it in the water some time over the Cup weekend.

Inwales are now in place and ghe unwales and inwales all rounded and shaped. I also have the seats in and decking thwarts fore and aft.

seatsin.jpg

And yesterday, the keel went on. It still needs shaping, but that shouldn't take too long.

keel.jpg

Still to do: shape the keel, put on decks and bulkheads, sand and paint.

birder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Another weekend, and another chance to get a bit more of the canoe built.

During the week I shaped and epoxied the keel
finished keel.jpg

Saturday, after my youngest daughter's birthday party, I made bulkheads with portholes in and got up early Sunday morning to put them in place.
bulkehead.jpg

Then the decks in the afternoon once the bulkheads had set. It took 32 clamps to keep them in place.
deck clamps.jpg

Once the clamps come off, all I need to do is sand/saw/plane/shape the decks flush with the gunwales and then the building is finished!
nearly done.jpg

The decks and gunwales still need sealing with epoxy (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night's job), then it's just sanding and painting to go. The maiden voyage is sometime cup weekend, Cup day at the very latest.

birder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
So, it appears the canoe is finished

I put the last coat of varnish on this morning and tied the handles. It's ready to go!

side.jpg
It's a bit hard to see, but the gunwales have been given a nifty glossy blue coat on the outside. The inside has been left bare and has marine grade varnish over the epoxy.

top.jpg
View from the top. I'll see how the seats go, but I think I might glue some foam to them for added gluteal comfort.

deck.jpg
The latest in handprint recognition technology for increased security :p

I may take it out this arvo, but given the forecast of storms and wind I may not too. Otherwise I'll launch tomorrow, or Tuesday morning at the latest.

birder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Launch day ahoy!

We took the canoe down to Fairfield Boathouse this morning and launched from there. Poured the finest eau de tap over the bow and named it "Canoey". Then first hurdle passed - it floats!

[video=youtube;Qw7Mfai2xjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7Mfai2xjk[/video]
[video=youtube;OrX1V2bdWVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrX1V2bdWVo[/video]

And paddles nicely too. I spent about an hour coming into and away from the landing, giving my daughters, wife, father in law, mother in law, sister in law and her boyfriend trips for about an hour and a half. Then it was time for morning tea! (very civilised, having a cafe with a pier handy).

[video=youtube;eUmENK04Ymc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmENK04Ymc[/video]

It's ended up around 35kg - a bit of a heft to get on and off the car, but no worries beyond that once it's on the trolley. The airtight bulkheads added about 5kg but the added security, storage and peace of mind they give make it worthwhile. Epoxying + painting + varnishing combined added extra to it, versus just one alone too. Bunnings marine ply was the main culprit though - perfectly good quality, but very very dense.

I found something interesting - when I paddle it on the left, it has a tendency to turn to the right more easily than it stays straight, but when I paddle on the right it is the opposite. It may have something to do with how I built it, but it's more likely to be my technique as I paddled it both directions and it stayed the same. More paddling practice needed, I guess.

big pete

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Love this I'm planning build a pirogue with a really wide bottom for bow/atlatl fishing one day ☺