Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Common Name:Cane Toad

Scientific Name:Bufo marinus

Other Names:Giant Neotropical Toad, Marine Toad

Order:Anura

Family:Bufonidae

Habitat:Tropical to sub tropical, more common near waterways but can live in dry conditions.

Distribution:Native to Central and South America.Introduced to many tropical Atlantic and Pacific islands.
Introduced to North East Australia as a biological control (failed) for sugarcane pests. Now an invasive pest species that is spreading.
Found in Northern N.S.W,all of coastal Qld and colonising N.T.

Field Notes:Large toad to 150mm.Olive brown,brown or red brown above,lighter on stomach.
Large parotoid glands behind eyes.Toes webbed.Eggs toxic.Tadpoles toxic. Adults toxic (from parotoid gland)
An upturned toad near waterwith its stomach eaten out may indicate the presence of water rats (Hydromys chrsogaster) as they are one of the few species that have learned how to eat cane toads.Can be fatal to dogs though some have been said to lick the toad just the right amount for the 'high'.

SDC10007.jpg

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a juvenile just one of many I saw hopping around and more little black tadpoles swimming wait to grow up. Found along river bank.
View attachment 8594

Last edited:

myneckisred

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I had a hunting dog that was addicted to licking toads used to beat them up than lick for hours. Wouldn't get much work out of him after finding a toad

Arron The Archer

Walkabout
Reaction score
ah the jumping golf ball its self i can't stand them an the thing is now where i live i hardly ever see green tree frogs any more
it's probably been 5 or 6 years since i saw the last one still sometimes hear them on nights when it rains but never see them

i think it's because of bloody cane toads (the jumping golf ball) one of the worst(top 5) things ever let into this country IMHO