BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BPS BS1FTS ( Belt Knife )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
BPS.jpg
BPS2.jpg

Ok , so I had to have one - No seriously !
I have nothing against reviews , except for the lack of real world data in regards to edge holding .
Opinion is well enough , but is only opinion . It only goes so far . I mean , one man's opinion is another man's BS .
And one man's BS is another man's gospel ... ( Why I hold opinion in such high regard )
So if I see enough reviews opinion'ing a knife into the stratosphere without Facts or Data to back it up ? I might have to buy that knife - If I can afford it !
And here we are , I have a BPS sheath knife .
The BS ( That's BS folks ) BS1FTS ... (?) Ominus ...... Perhaps

1st Impressions :
This is the baby of the BPS series .. Overall length according to my ruler being 200mm .. ( That's folding knife size )
It's very light .. 2.7 ounces and one ounce for the sheath according to my scales . ( 3.7 ounces as a package )
Sheath looks to be very well made from relatively soft leather .
THe knife on close examination , is a little rough around the edges and looks to be 90 to 95 percent finished .
The blade is well polished , but around the handle it's a little NQR . ( Built and finished to a price I guess )
The blade on mine has damage to the edge , around the 3/4 mark from the front of the blade . ( Won't affect the rope slice )

The bevel is Scandi , but has a micro bevel that is just barely perceivable to the naked eye , can be clearly seen under magnification .

There were a few minor things I did not care for with the grip .... So out with my motor tool for some work .
My hand felt a little crowded on the grip , so I removed some material from the front of the grip so my hand could be a little further forward .
I also narrowed the front of the grips so the knife would sit deeper in the sheath .
And that is where we are at .. Just need to put that factory edge to the rope and see what sort of result we get .

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

THe grip is a little ???
It rolls in the hand , it's difficult to get a good solid grip .
It's difficult to maintain a grip ..

The wood grips are too smooth / too round / and a little too short / for my hands ..
As for edge holding , got a 150 slice fail .. This is the same as the Carbon Mora with a micro bevel .

Re Sharpening :

It took a long time , maybe one hour to get rid of the micro bevel .. For a true Scandi edge . ( Hand sharpening )
Round two will be next .. ( True Scandi )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

True Scandi edge cuts rope ...

A) The BPS is real competition to Mora
B) A 350 fail is a good result for this price point
C) In Australia the BPS is not a cheap knife

The blade on the BPS is the same size as that on a Mora Basic .
The BPS steel outperforms Mora
The handle on the BPS is seriously smaller than the Mora
Does anyone sell BPS in Australia , might be a import only option .
Mine was imported .

With the blade being about the same size as Mora , but the handle being much smaller . The overall feel / handling of the BPS is that of a smaller knife . It almost feels like a steak knife rather than a bushcraft knife . ( For folks of smaller stature ? )
I am not displeased with the BPS , but rather impressed with the performance ... Even so , the knife feels too small for me and does not really suit me or my needs . Oh well , the purchase was made to see how good the blade steel is / was . The knife is now a christmas present . Edge was stropped back to fully sharp and then christmas wrapped ... All comes down to that handle ... I guess it could be re gripped !