BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

BPS BS1FTS ( Belt Knife )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
BPS.jpg
BPS2.jpg

Ok , so I had to have one - No seriously !
I have nothing against reviews , except for the lack of real world data in regards to edge holding .
Opinion is well enough , but is only opinion . It only goes so far . I mean , one man's opinion is another man's BS .
And one man's BS is another man's gospel ... ( Why I hold opinion in such high regard )
So if I see enough reviews opinion'ing a knife into the stratosphere without Facts or Data to back it up ? I might have to buy that knife - If I can afford it !
And here we are , I have a BPS sheath knife .
The BS ( That's BS folks ) BS1FTS ... (?) Ominus ...... Perhaps

1st Impressions :
This is the baby of the BPS series .. Overall length according to my ruler being 200mm .. ( That's folding knife size )
It's very light .. 2.7 ounces and one ounce for the sheath according to my scales . ( 3.7 ounces as a package )
Sheath looks to be very well made from relatively soft leather .
THe knife on close examination , is a little rough around the edges and looks to be 90 to 95 percent finished .
The blade is well polished , but around the handle it's a little NQR . ( Built and finished to a price I guess )
The blade on mine has damage to the edge , around the 3/4 mark from the front of the blade . ( Won't affect the rope slice )

The bevel is Scandi , but has a micro bevel that is just barely perceivable to the naked eye , can be clearly seen under magnification .

There were a few minor things I did not care for with the grip .... So out with my motor tool for some work .
My hand felt a little crowded on the grip , so I removed some material from the front of the grip so my hand could be a little further forward .
I also narrowed the front of the grips so the knife would sit deeper in the sheath .
And that is where we are at .. Just need to put that factory edge to the rope and see what sort of result we get .

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

THe grip is a little ???
It rolls in the hand , it's difficult to get a good solid grip .
It's difficult to maintain a grip ..

The wood grips are too smooth / too round / and a little too short / for my hands ..
As for edge holding , got a 150 slice fail .. This is the same as the Carbon Mora with a micro bevel .

Re Sharpening :

It took a long time , maybe one hour to get rid of the micro bevel .. For a true Scandi edge . ( Hand sharpening )
Round two will be next .. ( True Scandi )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

True Scandi edge cuts rope ...

A) The BPS is real competition to Mora
B) A 350 fail is a good result for this price point
C) In Australia the BPS is not a cheap knife

The blade on the BPS is the same size as that on a Mora Basic .
The BPS steel outperforms Mora
The handle on the BPS is seriously smaller than the Mora
Does anyone sell BPS in Australia , might be a import only option .
Mine was imported .

With the blade being about the same size as Mora , but the handle being much smaller . The overall feel / handling of the BPS is that of a smaller knife . It almost feels like a steak knife rather than a bushcraft knife . ( For folks of smaller stature ? )
I am not displeased with the BPS , but rather impressed with the performance ... Even so , the knife feels too small for me and does not really suit me or my needs . Oh well , the purchase was made to see how good the blade steel is / was . The knife is now a christmas present . Edge was stropped back to fully sharp and then christmas wrapped ... All comes down to that handle ... I guess it could be re gripped !