Book Review: Australian Fungi Illustrated by I.R. McCann

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a new book Australian Fungi Illustrated by I.R. McCann.
20160610_174855 (Small).jpg
The book contains information on 400 species of Australian fungi.

The book consists of a brief introduction and quick overview of the basic fungi families, then gets down to the pages of clear colour photos which is the main portion of the book

As well as the pictures, the book lists the common and scientific names of the fungi and both are indexed at the rear. There is a short sentence about where each fungi was found and when it was photographed;
For example “On wood in forest and woodland. June”
20160610_173156 (Small).jpg

The book does not contain any written descriptions, distinguishing features or any specific or general location information. It is not intended as a detailed reference.

If you are trying to identify a fungi this is a convenient field reference; but additional information would be needed from another book or source of reference material to be confident about any identification.

It is nice to have all the pictures in a portable format which is easy to access. You could quickly short list possible species for further investigation (if you want to), or simply be happy with what you find in the book.

For the price it’s a nice book, but for accurate identification, you will need additional information.

As always, please be cautious about eating fungi, a wrong identification can literally be fatal !

(No affiliation)

Jazz The Boxer

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I just listened to a podcast by Paul Kirtley today about plant identification. The take away was that you needed more than one book. Another suggestion was to learn one plant a month in an area you can easily access so you can keep tabs over it over the year so you can learn how it changes during the seasons.