Bones discussion.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Anyone like to speculate on what species this jaw belongs to and what may have contributed to its death?
Found near a creek in the Southburnett in SEQld. Length 70mm.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
This one has really thrown me, at first it looks dog/fox like but those rear teeth aren't right at all.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This bone is from a young Eastern grey kangaroo, you can tell its still young by the way the ends are not yet fused into one
continuous solid bone, this is were growing/lengthening takes place. This bone is relatively fresh, not yet bleached by the sun, about 2
months since death.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I found these bones on a beach in the whitsundays. At first I thought turtle but it doesn't fit with any pictures of the species up there. The vent like structures are very strange indeed. What do you think Hairy and the rest of you clever BCOZ people.

bones1.jpgbones2.jpg
bones3.jpgbones4.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Very light and air rated bone, I'm wondering if thats the keel bone of a bird? Maybe a pelican?

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Mozzie "Very light and air rated bone, I'm wondering if thats the keel bone of a bird? Maybe a pelican?"

That's right Mozzie, it has the density of a bird and the size is right for something like a Pelican but the fused vents and some of the other joints are way off as far as my knowledge goes.

Greatbloke "Part of it looks like a birds breast bone, but the rest is just weird."

Ha ha thats what I think. When I found it I was looking at it for ages until my friend came over and said "what the hell are you looking at ?" I said "you tell me", he couldn't.:risatonaD:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
fish, well there you go, you know I REALLY like this "pick up a bone and identify for me"

had me puzzled thats for sure, it was the density of the bone that had me thinking bird

humphead wrasse...awesome fish, shame to find a skull of one :-(

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
fish, well there you go, you know I REALLY like this "pick up a bone and identify for me"

had me puzzled thats for sure, it was the density of the bone that had me thinking bird

humphead wrasse...awesome fish, shame to find a skull of one :-(
Me too Mozzie, CSI for the bushies. Yeah I hope it died of natural causes.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Pathology in a red-necked wallaby jaw, possibly a disease know as lumpy jaw, often caused by the soil bacterium Fusobacterium necrophorous.