Bones discussion.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
It's in Bunyip state park east of Melbourne... I see deer, in the forest where it was found, a fair bit, but none of them wearing sunnies. ;) There is farmland nearby...mostly horses.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I found this in Belanglo Forest, very many apologies for the terrible photo, it was taken on my phone with my shaky hands. It looked like a pretty fresh kill but, after a good scout about I couldn't find even a scrap of fur left anywhere else. I'm thinking wallaby because of the toe arrangement, what do you think?
foot.jpg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
From the Wikipedia link you supplied, I'm guessing man and the gallbladder will be missing!!

BOD

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
They do have forearms actually and its quite similar design to ours. The degree to which they can manipulate objects makes them more like arms than say a deer's forelegs'.

But if they are in a snare they usually die in it unless they self amputate which they do quite often. Amazing immune system to fight the infection from a self- amputation

SunBear_WWF Malaysia-Mark Rayancopyright.jpg

If people find them in a snare they end up like this. All the paws are kept and they enter the wildlife trade supply chain

ppawlwss_bear.jpg

Neither scenario applies in this case.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found the remains of a domestic dog beside a quiet country road, ...it had been shot.

Rapid drying of the teeth after death cause long cracks to form.

There are three distinct types of vertebrae in this pic, from different parts of the same animal.

BOD

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Did not know that about teeth and rapid drying. In full sun in summer I presume?

Did the bullet/pellet strike bone? Like to see the injury if you have a pic

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, bone was contacted, I'm guessing a centre fire round like a .223 rem as there is a small entrance hole and
the back of the skull is badly damaged upon exit, not something you see with a lower powered .22 rimfire.

There was also a bone discoloured green from corroding copper, possibly the copper jacket from the bullet.
I'll try to take a pic and add it here.

edit .... and here it is, parts of the back of the skull.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
It was tied to a tree so not feral, unwanted, did something wrong or sick cant really tell.