Bones discussion.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread so we can post pics of misc bones and discuss them.

Here is a bone dumped on an old cut off road.
Its probably a young home killed cow. Young because the ends of the bones haven't yet fused
as they do in adults. Young animals are killed as they are better to eat and uneconomic to keep once they have
reached full size. Probably a cow/steer because of the size. The bone has been in this position for many
months as it shows signs of weathering.

DSCF0364 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Funny story about bones:

A few years ago I was fishing for flathead in Tuggerah Lakes near The Entrance with my brother in law.

We found some large and suspicious looking bones in the channel we were fishing just after some floods had come through the coast. To add to our suspicion, a human skull had been found in the lake not too far from where we were.

Dilemma: call police? Decided to call.

Men in blue arrived, had a quick look and called in the inspector. The inspector arrived, had a qquick look and set up a crime scene and taped off the are leaving a young constable on guard till the divers came to scour the water.

Divers arrived later that evening and did their search and the bones were turned over to the relevant experts.

They belonged to a pelican!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes pelican bones, especially some of the longer ones in the wings are superficially
similar to human bones in appearence.
But only a fraction of the weight. Human long bones are very thick and dense.
Its hard for most people to recognise the animal species from their bones or skulls.
I bet there are lots of false call outs for the police.
Did a skeletal reconstruction of a pelican for my high school biology project.
Its a very good way to learn about bones and skeletons.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score

Remains of a fox I found about 6 mouths ago.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Might be nice and sun bleached by now.
What characteristics gave its ID away to you Oz?

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hairyman,

The pelican bones had been in the water for some time and were soaked, I also think they were filled with mud, they were certainly pretty heavy!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
@ Auscraft, yes the bone in the first post was sawn off further down and
to further fill in the context it was found in , there were sheep bones and skulls with bullet holes
not far away.
@ Koalaboi, good point ....and im guessing that if the bones are suspected of being human
the finder may be reluctant to handle them.
I'll try to find some bird bones and roo bones and do a cross sectional comparison to see the
difference between them weight/density wise.
I handled some roo long bones recently and was suprised at how heavy they were.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Might be nice and sun bleached by now.
What characteristics gave its ID away to you Oz?
The size of the skull was the man giveaway as far as ID.To small to be a Domstic dog or dingo,but I never found any dingo bones myself.I took some of the bigger bones I used them as firesteel handles.Yes would be interesting to go back too the same spot see how the bones have weathered.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found another fox skull today.
Strangely it had been moved by something, it was on a recently made fire break but had been dead for much longer.
It was sun bleached and the canines and some other teeth were missing.
There were no other parts of the skeleton nearby.
I found what appears to be part of another fox skull nearby.
IMG_3511 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3513 (626x462).jpg

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Found this today in the Cranbourne annexe of the Royal Botanic Gardens.

I think its a Wombat, mainly because I can't think of any other animal in the gardens that might have a skull this size and shape.
Comments please....

Wombat from front.jpg
Wombat from rear.jpg
wombat from side.jpg

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This is also from the Gardens. Could it be a Swamp Wallaby? Pretty nice set of choppers for a herbivore....
Swamp Wallaby from side 2.jpg
Swamp Wallaby from side.jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting.
I cant seem to find images of a wombat skull from those angles to compare. But the complex bone near the back at the top
suggests to me it may a horn base. So possibly a young cattle skull. Not 100% so I could be wrong.
Its good to take pics of skulls from below, that is looking up into the roof of the mouth, a bit tricky in this case bescause its a fragment only.
The second bones dont look like a swamp wallaby, the teeth are quite different. This is a fragmnet of upper jaw. The images of wombat upper jaws
ive looked at , the teeth dont protrude down so much, so maybe young cattle sheep or goat? Not pig or horse.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting.
I cant seem to find images of a wombat skull from those angles to compare. But the complex bone near the back at the top
suggests to me it may a horn base. So possibly a young cattle skull. Not 100% so I could be wrong.
Its good to take pics of skulls from below, that is looking up into the roof of the mouth, a bit tricky in this case bescause its a fragment only.
The second bones dont look like a swamp wallaby, the teeth are quite different. This is a fragmnet of upper jaw. The images of wombat upper jaws
ive looked at , the teeth dont protrude down so much, so maybe young cattle sheep or goat? Not pig or horse.
I appreciate your input, H. As this is a Botanic Gardens and fully fenced with rangers and gardeners patrolling and working around the gardens, I don't its possible for cattle to have gained entry to the gardens.
I'll start packing a tape measure from now on and I'll also photograph looking up into the roof of the mouth.

Thanks again,

b