Blundstones ... Not for hiking

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Well, I was tempted to buy a pair of bludstones 561 lately and I can tell you its a huge disappointment as a boot.

Little to no ankle support
Feet move around in the boot creating hot spots and after a few km on trail, blisters
Feet don't breath at all (This is something I knew before buying as it is a full leather boot but my feet sweat a lot less in my leather army boots)
Quality reputation is shady from the moment the manufacturing moved out of Australia.

Just doesn't worth the money, keep away from them.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Elastic sided boot = don't hike in them. They evolved from a riding boot. Back in the day there were two common boot styles - lace up ankle boots (chukka or military style) and there were elastic sided boots. Swaggies and recreational walkers would always ID a "new chum" by the elastic sided boots he wore "on the wallaby". Stockmen and others on horseback wore elastic sided boots, generally with leather concertina gaiters.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I was watching the Footy [ No, not soccer, gridiron or rugby, :) ] the other day and they were playing a lot of this blue steel ad between goals.

[video=youtube;w--7RUs0Rgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w--7RUs0Rgk[/video]

I don't watch much TV but it looks like they are heavily marketing their work boots as more comfortable.

[video=youtube;il1ub2zeb20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il1ub2zeb20[/video]

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Steel blue boots are really nice n comfy and the soles dont seem to turn to cottage cheese after a year either.

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
G`day Mates,

in my opinion is a elastic side boot pretty well for hiking.

But you have to train your muscles, ligaments and sinews.

Our body have everywhere muscles also in the feets too. In modern shoe`s these muscles have not enough training and they become stunted.

One of the best trainings is to go barefoot!

Also is very important to use the right socks, not cotton even better (Merino) Wool Socks. But I suppose he knows that!

One of the best elastic side boots from Australia are Redback. Without doubt, I tested it under rough conditions!

My last long tour, I hiked 2.000 Kilometer in 49 Days with to pair of Redback and they work pretty well.

But..you have to know...hiking is for me a life attitude, not a hobby.

Cheers

Ralf

Radl-Weg-Austria.jpgbloody long way to Hungary.JPG

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Interesting thinking.

For me its more of an hobby, I've done my share of force-marching in the army :)

Going barefoot outdoors seems nuts to me. Broken Glass, insects, snakes, etc..
What do you think about vibram five fingers for hiking or backpacking?

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Both my wife and i have the sole on our Blundstones blowout last weekend. Like within an hour of each other!? Gave us a few year hard wear in the yard so we will go again.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Ive had Olivers , and Steel Blue are far better. Olivers comfort was minimal and the sole delaminated before the boots were through by a long shot. ( which is what should happen to whoever thought up planned obsolescence for a boot ! )

Elastic sided boots are great for convenience but they really offer little protection to your ankle from bashes and scrapes when in rough terrain.

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Well,

I must hurry, I cook something.

So I don`t like five fingers..in another thread about it, I posted a YT-Link from a friend of mine in hard useing. Have a look!

I trained barefood walking just at home, in a garden or an special place or when I had a break or in the evening time after hiking.

So, you ever tried to take the insole out of your shoes and train the feet. I always do it, for many month now...and I hiked a lot...in the beginning it was pretty hard---pain--not trained muscles...so I use my laces also softly, without Insoles but high Boots from the German Army (have a look the other Thread).

Last year I walked round about 12.000 Kilometer...yeah crazy freak, so what....just me...:)!

Cheers

Ralf

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
That's 32KM a day!! everyday of the year!
Even if my fitness allowed me that much walking (and it probably won't), my finances will sure stop me from walking this much! :)

I saw the German boots thread, sadly its not available in Israel

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yeah, I know....

Maybe some Mates of you asked herself...Damn...how could find himself the time to do this....the answer is very easy.

I have had a very bad accident on my right Arm, and so I was ill, lost my job, don`t have to work and get (very little) money from the Job office....!

In bad times to do want I really want to do.....!

Cheers

Ralf

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate, hope it heals good.
One still have to earn some cash for living and supporting he's family, doesn't he?
As I would love to throw everything away and go nomad.. It's just impossible

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We had a bloke turn up wearing elastic sided boots on a weekend trip - by the time we reached camp on the first day, he was limping badly from having his feet swim around in the boots and cause huge blisters across the soles of his feet. This was exacerbated by (obviously) carrying the extra weight of a rucksack and steep trackless bush. Luckily someone was carrying a spare pair of joggers that fitted him and he was able to walk out the next day in reasonable comfort.

The beauty of laces is they can be adjusted as feet swell, elastic sided boots have too much 'give'.

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
We had a bloke turn up wearing elastic sided boots on a weekend trip - by the time we reached camp on the first day, he was limping badly from having his feet swim around in the boots and cause huge blisters across the soles of his feet. This was exacerbated by (obviously) carrying the extra weight of a rucksack and steep trackless bush. Luckily someone was carrying a spare pair of joggers that fitted him and he was able to walk out the next day in reasonable comfort.

The beauty of laces is they can be adjusted as feet swell, elastic sided boots have too much 'give'.
Amen,
I had a similar experience with them that made me post that.. luckily I was smart enough to take it easy and 'get to know' them before doing some serious walking

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yepp,

you`re right, if the terrain is heavy or mountain climbing or/and a heavy backpack than is a elastic boot not the first Choice. But I did it,ok...not heavy terrain, plain but a very long way.

One of my rules is if I go for serious Hike is take two pair of Boots with you...call me German....but, when you feets are not ready - you are not ready...so see my signature!

Elastic boots in easy terrain - ok and works pretty good as back up, but if I had to walk once again thousend of Kilometers like the Appalachain Trail or Pacific Crest I would recommend lacing boots.

(I never walked the AT or the PCT but I still dream about it :linguino:)

@ Alex

Thx, my Arm would never be the same as before! I wrote about in a Thread here about Injuries! Greets to Israel!

Cheers to all...

Ralf

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Very true work type boots like the thread mentions are not for Bushwalking, hiking, forced marches or marathons for that matter .... but for walking about the bush or other BC activities they are more than suitable to most. Many people do activities out bush that do not include hiking /bushwalking believe it or not, and some who go for the odd bushwalk the best they have are the work style boots.
My latest thing is my Froggers http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?5978-Froggers and even runners both are great and cover many aspects of what I do out bush. But for treks I find GP military boots the way to go as I am use to them and enjoy the support they offer over different terrains. I find my old Redback boots like the type mention still has its place just not as often nor as comfortable

Last edited:

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I wear blunnies most of the time when at work (teacher), in the yard and in the bush.

I hate doing up and undoing laces. They end up breaking anyway.

For serious overnight walking with a heavy pack I wear good quality hiking boots.

Otherwise barefoot most of the time.

KB