Billy Can Bun

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
We were supposed to head out for some bush cooking today but it was way too hot. So the cooking I planned to do ended up being done at home.
I found a recipe for a "Billy Can Bun" in a foodie mag in an article which was all about cooking in the outdoors.
I will type the recipe here because I made a few modifications to the original so it is more suited to long walks, as the original is it a bit more labour intensive and more suited to 'base' camping.

The thing I love about it is that it doesn't require any perishable ingredients, and the ingredients are all dry and weigh very little, so provided that you have fire and a tripod (or some other way of suspending your billy over a fire), you're set. You can make this anywhere and once you taste it, you'll be hooked.

The only thing is you would want loads of butter and golden syrup on it, otherwise there's kinda no point (LOL). However, you could always ditch the butter for long walks and take plenty of golden syrup in a bottle to make up for the lack of butter… :linguino:

A few pointers -

- You will want to use a billy with a larger base surface area, you could even use a pot. The billy I used was quite deep and 14cm in diameter across the bottom. It was the perfect size for this recipe.
- This made plenty to satisfy me and Wentworth (it is also quite a heavy/ dense pud), but you could always halve the recipe for one person and make it in a smaller billy.
- The original recipe says to grease and flour the pot, but if you don't want to take oil and flour with you into the bush, just take a little quality baking paper and line the base of your pot with it. That should work fine.
- If you are making this in a zip lock bag in the bush, let the tea cool down for five minutes before you add it to the bag.
- I reckon you could add a little whiskey to this (either to the batter OR as a topping) and it would really pack a punch. Yum!

200g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
100g caster sugar
500ml (or 2 cups) of hot black tea
Butter and golden syrup, to serve

To cook this in the bush, add all the dry ingredients to a large zip lock bag.

In the bush, make the tea and set aside to cool briefly. Add it to the bag, then mix it really well until it is nice and smooth (it will be quite runny).
Set the bag aside in a shady spot sealed up, for about an hour. This will allow the mixture to thicken.

Line the base of your billy can with baking paper and pour in the mixture. Pop the lid on and suspend over a hot fire (don't allow the flames to touch the base, but you'll want it nice and hot) for about an hour.
Depending on the ambient temperature it may take less time, but just check on it every fifteen minutes. If it looks firm on top, push your knife into the centre to test readiness. If if comes out really wet, it's not ready. If it comes out kinda fudgey but not too wet, it should be right.

Let it cool for five minutes before turning it out and serving it up.

Otherwise dowse it with butter and golden syrup in your pot and go crazy.

IMG_20150124_135316.jpg IMG_20150124_135421.jpg IMG_20150124_135958.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a loaf we used to make at home ... mmmm.

I'll have to give it a try !

BSN

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Oh yummy, this looks so good. my mouth started watering as soon as pictures loaded. gonna try make these now, even though it's 3:00am lol

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
deff looks a tasty treat and so easy to make going by your instructions.