Billies

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Recently I purchased a billy, stainless steel, Chinese made, but I’ve been told that not all stainless steel is created equal and not all can be used over an open flame. It is a very cheap knock off from the zebra 14cm. I paid $7.95 for it.
You should not have any trouble using stainless steel on an open fire providing you do not boil it dry or allow it to get too hot to the point of melting/distorting. Personally I do not use stainless steel in a camp, but this is for historical reasons only. We do use stainless steel on our wood burning stove at home.
Regards, Keith.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As Kieth said, im sure its fine. I never really got into the zebras as they are a bit heavier and I just eat out of the pot anyway so never use the plate bit or just use the lid for a plate/bowl. If you are looking for something home grown I've been using Cecil and Co billies for about 20 years now and they are great. The 1L one is perfect for hiking, enough room for all your cooking gear. I pack it with my brew pouch, cup and utensils which protects it pretty well from getting crushed. They are well priced too.

If I'm going super light weight/basic or just taking a satchel ill just take a canteen cup but anything above that I like the billy as its not much bigger, gives you a place to pack stuff, same weight and give you more water boiling capacity if you need it.

Last edited:

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Looks good. They're reasonably wide which means you won't be wasting much of your flame. I prefer shallow and wide for speed / fuel economy and you have that. I'm guessing that dish fits inside the top of the billy, which is also useful; cook two things at once on one flame.

Now, do you have one of these?

billy grip.jpg

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks good. They're reasonably wide which means you won't be wasting much of your flame. I prefer shallow and wide for speed / fuel economy and you have that. I'm guessing that dish fits inside the top of the billy, which is also useful; cook two things at once on one flame.

Now, do you have one of these?

View attachment 27410
Is that an original spondo?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Is that an original spondo?
No idea. Never heard of spondo. I have a collection kept from various kits over the years - they're pretty basic and all work :) None of mine have the extra support of the external gripper like the one in the photo above - that seems a good idea. The outside gripper would be taking most of the weight.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I recently bought a new billy too , it’s tin and it is very light.
i wanted it for long term , stews , soups , whole fish or rabbits etc.
It is 6lt and looks a bit like a paint tin.

not really up on the metallurgy or life expectancies

Cubroast

Russell Coight
Reaction score
You should not have any trouble using stainless steel on an open fire providing you do not boil it dry or allow it to get too hot to the point of melting/distorting. Personally I do not use stainless steel in a camp, but this is for historical reasons only. We do use stainless steel on our wood burning stove at home.
Regards, Keith.
Thankyou mate for getting back too me! If I could always carry cast iron I definitely would.

Cubroast

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I recently bought a new billy too , it’s tin and it is very light.
i wanted it for long term , stews , soups , whole fish or rabbits etc.
It is 6lt and looks a bit like a paint tin.

not really up on the metallurgy or life expectancies
That is a giant of a billy! Can’t say over ever had fish stew or soup before

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
No idea. Never heard of spondo. I have a collection kept from various kits over the years - they're pretty basic and all work :) None of mine have the extra support of the external gripper like the one in the photo above - that seems a good idea. The outside gripper would be taking most of the weight.
"Spondo" is the bushwalkers' name for a pot gripper. The origins of which comes from a Three Stooges routine from the 30's.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
"Spondo" is the bushwalkers' name for a pot gripper. The origins of which comes from a Three Stooges routine from the 30's.
:oops: that doesn't bode well, but not my experience :) I found a definition of spondo in an urban dictionary - couldn't find the 3 stooges routine. It sounds like quite a few early users must have come to grief using those grips :ROFLMAO:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many grades of stainless steel. any of them should work well in an open fire without any issues as long as its not boiled dry as Le Loup correctly stated above.

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
with some stainless steel, the main issue you may have is rust. some of them aren’t as rustproof as others. just make sure it’s clean and well dried before storage

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It would be nice if they lasted a long time , as long as they last between the next trip to town , or mail delivery from ebay.

I can’t justify buying space ship materials at over the top prices myself .

the old enamel type is built well although a bit heavy for what it is.

the tin jobs are rediculously light and cheap even the big ones.

I Suppose it’s ok to go through a few billies in a lifetime.

like the ones made from fruit or milo tins.

F7E01224-D3CB-4475-8819-AB1716E7D82F.jpegBBF541D1-459A-4F08-ABFE-1AC36F9B6674.jpeg