Billhook for restoration

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have too many projects waiting to be done so am letting this one go. Double edged billhook, has a bit of surface rust that will clean off easily enough, needs a bit of a sharpen and a handle. I've got a turned handle with brass ferrule I can throw in if wanted which might fit.
Asking $40 posted within Australia. 2657026571265722657320190707_141650-756x1008.jpg

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
What was a billhook used for?
I assume it was for cutting sugar cane or the like, but I am only guessing.
Cheers
Bloffy
European equivalent of a machete, a tool used for all sorts of purposes in the woods and fields. Coppicing, hedgelaying, pruning, hurdle making, splitting laths for basket weaving, the list goes on.
I've carved spoon blanks, pruned, weeded and so forth with mine.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
what if you wiped the stamp with a some oil on a rag? If you could be bothered. Even the holes in the tang look like the work of a smithy. Sometimes, if you have a reasonable camera, a good in focus photo helps too. You can try stuff on the computer, like increasing contrast or converting to black and white (not monochrome). It looks old.

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Looks like it says marer. It's on the wrong side of the blade for a maker's Mark though, could be a previous owner stamped their name on it.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
it is supposedly a midland's pattern - it's looking english. I found a similar one online (see 2nd last picture at bottom of page) stamped Bryan Melton, but the billhook enthusiast thinks that it might be a dealer's mark. If you were interested, those dudes in the link could probably give you more info. I wonder if it was brought here by its owner, or shipped here (imported) for sale?

Last edited:

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm not really interested in its history or who made it as I bought it to use as a tool.
As for how it got here, I bought it from the the UK via eBay.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm not really interested in its history or who made it as I bought it to use as a tool.
As for how it got here, I bought it from the the UK via eBay.
Yes, I can understand that. It's the nerd in me. That's amazing that you had it delivered from the UK - the delivery must have cost more than the tool. Thanks for your tolerance :)