BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bushcraft Construction and Rope hardware...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Bushcraft constructions is not something many people muck around with anymore... Ever Monday I watch Bear Grylls try and mostly fail to lash things together and it annoys me. It is not that hard a good lashing is no accident...

Since I was old enough to turn a screwdriver I was making cranes with Meccano, I have been fascinated by construction and blocks and tackles since then.

When I was about 12 I was using a small handy billy to pull myself into trees. Whether its a Gun, Luff, Double or Gyn its for me! Whilst these items have no real place in survivalist style bushcraft, for the wacky bridges, towers and platforms my friends and I make with bush poles and ropes they really are very useful. I have a small collection... These are my restored "users"

PB131258.jpg

These are a few of the ones awaiting restoration...

P6271696.jpg

This is a setup for a high level rope bridge with safety line ...

23022008002.jpg

used to make a two storey tent with a rope bridge to a tower "for the kids" yeah it was for the kids....

23022008001.jpg

Is anyone else on here into this kind of thing?

Last edited:

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Can't say I have any experience but now I know who to bug should I need a zip line....

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say I have any experience but now I know who to bug should I need a zip line....

Funny you should say that when I was about 10 I set up a zip line from the liquid amber tree to the clothes line. In the end my parents gave in and bought me my own snatch block and 60 odd metres of 25mm Manila/Sisal rope.

Here is a 120m Zip line I set up for the kids at my parents property... not the steepest but a good run for the kids.

P1090033.jpg

here are a couple of rope bridges for good measure...

IMG_1107.jpg

P2210350.jpg

P2210367.jpg

Last edited:

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Those pics over the water remind me of my days in the scouts.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Those pics over the water remind me of my days in the scouts.

They are from my days as a section leader. That is me crossing on the single line. The kids could not believe it could even be done! I am a huge believer in getting the kids out there doing this kind of thing. Nowadays it is getting rarer in the scouts even... my fellow and leader and I revolted after we went to a region camp and the evening entertainment was a movie!!!! We were disgusted, we managed to entice about 1/2 the kids outside to build a fire and got them doing skits, but it should not happen that way.

Kids these days spend far too long in front of screens for the most part. Anyhow I could rant for pages on this subject.

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I hear you there. I looked at having my 8 year old (back then) join the boy scouts. I was floored by what crap I encountered - nothing like it used to be. The writing was on the wall though - when I was in the cub scouts in WA my Mum became a pack leader, certified and whatever else it takes. When we moved back to QLD they told here she'd have to do their training course and so on again. She can tell the tale better than I can but it seemed very short sighted.

Mind you, if she were allowed to participate in QLD, I wouldn't have the charming story of when the Scouts abandoned me in the middle of the bush a few hours drive away. Apparently they underestimated the importance of an old fashioned head count.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you there. I looked at having my 8 year old (back then) join the boy scouts. I was floored by what crap I encountered - nothing like it used to be. The writing was on the wall though - when I was in the cub scouts in WA my Mum became a pack leader, certified and whatever else it takes. When we moved back to QLD they told here she'd have to do their training course and so on again. She can tell the tale better than I can but it seemed very short sighted.

Mind you, if she were allowed to participate in QLD, I wouldn't have the charming story of when the Scouts abandoned me in the middle of the bush a few hours drive away. Apparently they underestimated the importance of an old fashioned head count.

The funny thing is they then complain cause they cannot get enough leaders...

We encounter this sort of thing all the time (not the loosing you in the bush thing just the red tape and politics.)

I have been working hard to get my little area of scouts sorted out. It has gone on for so long but a lot of people are trying to turn it back around.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hmmm... Don't get me started on the "New Age" Scouting that has taken root... I left when they became more interested in cooking and sewing instead of hiking and camping... a wide game became tag at a walking pace and only on a padded surface... but being only an assistant leader no one was interested in my opinions...

Ok... thats my gripe for the day, back to the usual programming...

Some nice rope work there mate, and the Rope Traverse is greatly under rated in my opinion...

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Don't get me started on the "New Age" Scouting that has taken root... I left when they became more interested in cooking and sewing instead of hiking and camping...

It may have taken root, but we can still weed it out.

This is my regions Calendar for adventurous activities this year, you won't find any cooking or sewing, although my leaders do teach lightweight cooking and emergency needlework (as in pack and gear repair not sutures)

http://www.humescouts.com/images/stories/Activites/Activity_booklet_2011.pdf

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Two more moved from the un-restored pile to the restored pile... 2 1 toners

PC083409.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Since I was old enough to turn a screwdriver I was making cranes with Meccano. Is anyone else on here into this kind of thing?

Sounds like a good part of my childhood too. Always made cranes from Meccano jib, gantry, wheeled. Just bought some "for the kids" for Christmas too :)

I also have a deep fascination with the awesome power of block and tackles, as well as the related clamshell buckets (goes on a crane!). Have to make a zip line for the kids.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Saw an experimental archaeology doco some time ago on roman bridge building (in the UK)
I reckon those Roman army engineers could teach us a thing or two about whats possible with ropes,
tacke, leavers, sweat and blood. And sailors from the more recent past too.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good part of my childhood too. Always made cranes from Meccano jib, gantry, wheeled. Just bought some "for the kids" for Christmas too :)

I also have a deep fascination with the awesome power of block and tackles, as well as the related clamshell buckets (goes on a crane!). Have to make a zip line for the kids.

Hey how cool are clamshell buckets, you don't by chance watch scrapheap challenge? I gave the kids a whopping great chest of meccanno collected over several generations. They looked at it for a bit then went back to there electric gizmos. Very sad. I hope you have better luck. If you want to make a zip line and need a big pulley I could spare a 1 tonner or two. The open hooks are not ideal but if you mouse off really well, it should not cause you an issue.

Saw an experimental archaeology doco some time ago on roman bridge building (in the UK)
I reckon those Roman army engineers could teach us a thing or two about whats possible with ropes,
tacke, leavers, sweat and blood. And sailors from the more recent past too.

For sure!

SwampHanger

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Can't say I've built bridges but you ropes and pulleys a few times a week at work. I'm an arborist and that is one of my favorite parts of the job. Rigging can be like playing chess. Always looking for an angle.

What you have built looks great! I'm sure the kids enjoy that.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
G'Day Corin
I knocked up a little flying fox for the girls today out of some stuff in the shed. I thought i'd give climbing along the rope a go like . I got up and moved forward along the rope ok but dam it gave the gut muscles a hiding, and i ended up with a rope burn along my gut too... ha. guess i need a fair bit more practice

here is a few pics

DSCF0985.jpg

DSCF0986.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great, you're lucky to have all that land to set up on.

I've set up some rope "bridges" for the kids, when we're camping. You can have lots of fun with just 2 ropes across a (safe) river; or a series of ropes from tree to tree to tree...

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still have it up, I'd be doing a bit of water pistol skeet shooting down at the far end - kids make a great target on a hot day ...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah ha thats what I'm talking about! Nice work Darren... Looks like a proper job mate! regarding nylon Stretching... you can use 20-25mm Manila/Sisal rope, but I have a tip for you if you have time and a few contacts. I recently discovered that manufacturers and installers of elevators use lots of cable. This cable only has a shelf life of about 5 years, every so often they throw out brand new, unused rolls just because their shelf life has expired, I was in the right place one day and picked up a roll off 10mm and a roll of 12mm brand new, 125m, unopened cost... nothing, though arguably I owe my mate a case of beer, what went around will come around.

What Sheave are you using? any close up pics of your rigging and tensioning system?

@ Swamphanger rigging is great fun and I love your analogy!

@ Aussie 123 water pistol skeet shooting is a cool idea!

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
What Sheave are you using? any close up pics of your rigging and tensioning system?

The sheave is a small dia one that is meant for a safety line, The sheave pully is too small to roll smoothly across the rope. I have a nylon rope tensioner that has a bult in cleat to take the slack out then i am using a 0.5t pull lift to try and get it tight.
Here are some pics

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0990.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg