Beefwood for knife Handles

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks I recently came into a lifetime supply of beefwood, which is pretty good looking stuff.

It is red when cut but with tung oil it darkens to a brown.

I have a still still un-milled and can supply cut to your requirement.

I am looking to trade for pretty much anything else for knife making, all offers considered.

If you just want to buy some PM me for a price.

IMG_1017.jpgIMG_1019.jpgIMG_1020.jpgIMG_1021.jpg

Last edited:

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Never heard of the stuff, but the patterns in the grain there would make some beautiful scales. Nice looking wood there Corin.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going with grevillea striata But no real way of saying for sure. I am milling it from heavily weathered reclaimed lumber.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Don't want to highjack, but the wave pattern looks a bit like some of the seasoned Beech wood that I had found for firewood, but some of the grain is sooooo beautiful that I wanted to save some for if I ever gain the skills like you have to use this wood for its beauty instead of heat output. As well, I was able to save an old, maybe very old, piece of "bird's eye maple" that I found under many coats of old paint on an antique bathroom mirrored cabinet. I would love for this to be made into knife scales if I can ever afford another custom. So I guess then my question to everyone, but particularily Corin, are these types of wood available to you in Australia, and secondly, what would be your suggestion for saving/storing wood for future use like I have planned so as to keep it in the best possible condition? Treat it with something like tung oil, or just keep it natural and stored inside?

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I'm looking at this and I'm thinking that I would love to have a go at making a kuksa. Do you think that it would work?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at this and I'm thinking that I would love to have a go at making a kuksa. Do you think that it would work?
not for a very big one, but yeah maybe.

Here it is treated with lindseed oil, its lovely stuff for sure.