Battery replacement PLB...you cannot be serious man

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use a GME PLB, bit bulky, but when I bought it, it was after a fair bit of research. There are now a lot of smaller and well specced PLBs on the marked.

My battery is due for replacement in October of this year.

They are return to base for this, not a problem for me.

Then I saw the price for the replacement and "service" if you factor in the fact that it has to be sent as dangerous goods overland, it works out at almost the price of a brand new PLB.

I have thought about replacing the batteries myself ($20) but am not convinced of my soldering skills and think that it is probably left to the experts(although quite what is entailed in a service of solid state circuitry I have no idea)

If I triggered the PLB in a genuine emergency, battery replacement is free..

Given that they will not replace batteries after 12 years of the unit, that means they have a one time battery replacement.

I understand that the money might save my life and it is little cost, but I can get a brand new KTI with 10 year battery life for about $30 more.

Rant over.

Anybody else been in this position for PLB or EPIRB?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm not sure a PLB would be something I would spring for. Although the I think a SPOT would be a good compromise if I went bush on my own a lot.
In regards to your PLB they may change some waterproof seals or something when they service it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds line a new beacon may be in order ?

You could check what the lifespan is and the replacement costs (of course 10 years from now the price may be different)

Here's what the AMSA have to say about servicing:
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/maintenance/servicing.asp

A beacon is like insurance:
Before an incident it is only useful for peace of mind (for you and your loved ones),
After an incident it can come in handy,
It does not prevent an incident or change it in any way

Which PLB would best address the first 2 points: professionally serviced, home serviced or a new unit ?

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I would pay for a new unit or the service. I just don't think it is worth the risk of DIY. I would hate to have to trigger one and not have it do its thing.

Bodge

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Thrud, is the current model you have GPS equipped? if not I would upgrade, saves a lot of search time (Touch Wood) :). I have the GME Accusat which is small enough to fit into any pocket and is constantly being moved from pouch to pack to PFD and even the car on longer trips.
Regards, Bodge

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cheers Bodge and others.

I have the GPS model, i think they are the ones to go for as they get the area of the search down to metres rather than kilometres.
I agree with Aussie 123 and Rurik; when you pull the pin you want it to work! Just the inflated (to my mind) price that got me.

Don't get me started on replacement cartridges for inkjets...

I will wait until October, cancel the old one and go with KTI

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I hear you in regards to the price.

I think that we (through the government) should be selling PLBs at a subsidised price. I reckon given how much S&R costs it would save the money in no time. It is criminal how much these units cost in this country.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think the KTI, for me is a good option, firstly it is made in Australia, is reasonably priced ($250) has a 10 year battery life, is small and can be activated one handed.

The only thing I cannot see is how long it will transmit for.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
In that review by Nicko, a highly trusted source IMHO, he states 2+ days. Which is the same for all of them which makes me think that's the required specification for these devices?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Redtail.
I'm a bit confused about the "usage time" my GME says "in excess of 24 hours"
Which is zpresumably less than the 2 days on that review.
I will ask KTI

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Got a very swift reply from KTI this morning (always a good sign)
think I will be getting one of these in October

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding our Safety Alert Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

As you suggest, actual transmit time will depend upon many factors including temperature during activation, temperature over the storage life of the product, self-test usage history and many other factors including the definition of "transmitting".
The bottom line is, with every worst-case factor combined, the Safety Alert PLB will transmit fully compliant signals for a minimum period of 24 hours.

More important factors you may wish to consider in selecting a PLB include battery life in storage, warranty, and if you may ever use the product near water - GPS update interval and ability to swivel the antenna without deactivating the beacon."

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
My GME plb went flat last year and they quoted replacement price for the 'Service' As far as i understand they replace the unit completely.

I ended up buying a KTI and i am very happy with it. Hopefully the batteries will go flat on this one without being used too

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a spot but thanks for all the info guys.. I think I'll upgrade to the KTI one day soon..

I've learnt a lot from this thread..

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Our beacon expired last year, I've been meaning to get a new one. The newer beacons are about half the size of the older mcmurdo.
I did wonder, if they have a 7 year battery on some models, it'd be good to get one new in stock, that hadn't been sitting on the shelf for a year or two already.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thrud, I have always envisaged replacing my PLB when the battery reached it's expiration date. Just safer to have a new updated unit in an emergency. It is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

CraftCritter

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Got a very swift reply from KTI this morning (always a good sign)
think I will be getting one of these in October

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding our Safety Alert Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

As you suggest, actual transmit time will depend upon many factors including temperature during activation, temperature over the storage life of the product, self-test usage history and many other factors including the definition of "transmitting".
The bottom line is, with every worst-case factor combined, the Safety Alert PLB will transmit fully compliant signals for a minimum period of 24 hours.

More important factors you may wish to consider in selecting a PLB include battery life in storage, warranty, and if you may ever use the product near water - GPS update interval and ability to swivel the antenna without deactivating the beacon."
A great product and a great customer service. They're definitely one to look out for. :)