Batteries, bloody batteries...

Kiwisailor

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi, I've just had to replace my Boat's 4x Trojan T105 6volt Golf Cart Batteries. ( I run them in a 12volt House bank, not the starting bank )
So what you say?
Well, just a word to the wise for you fellow off grid folk.
I knew the 8-10 year old batteries (bought this boat 8 yrs ago) were getting a bit sad and thought about replacing them before winter set in.
Work and life got in the way, then COVID lockdown !

So, just recently purchased and fitted brand spanking new ones into boat, so I thought..
Yes, I should have checked Voltage at rest before putting them in but was in a hurry and ASSUMED they would be charged.
When hooked up they were flat at 11.50 volts resting. So what you say, just charge them..
NOT the issue.

The issue with flooded Batteries is they get Sulphated up when left deep discharged or flat. The Sulphate (from Sulphuric acid) gets stuck on plates and prevents Ions from passing out of solution onto plates and charging them. This is primary cause of battery failure.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how long they have been sitting discharged at Importer's warehouse, and can assume they worst, i.e. possibly MONTHS due to Lockdown.

Retailer did arrange for replacement ones to be sent up, BUT, I assume there would be no difference other than they were charged when arrived.
So, beware anyone buying new batteries - check up on their history.
Not slagging off Trojan T105's as I get 8-10 years out of them when I add Inox m2 Battery Conditioner when new.
Thoroughly recommend the stuff for prevention of Sulphation.
Just a heads up...

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
It sounds like you know your stuff. All I know is the blurb that came with my battery charger. Is one of these of any use? Or are they just a maintenance / preventative thing? Or just a sales blurb?

Last edited:

Kiwisailor

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I am unable to comment on ctec as I don't have one. No reason to think they are duds as they have been available for years.

Any charger that can top up batteries is a plus. Used on a regular basis is definitely a good idea. Batteries love being full.

I've just invested in a Vectron p22 as other Boaties have them and recommend them.
Portable unit that can be connect/disconnected and used on another car or boat.
They have a equalisation programme which is great. Modern chargers are streets ahead of the older style.

Pulse and MTTP chargers on solar arrays are well worth the money to convert over to from constant charge rated chargers with a step down as batteries reach higher charge.
They charge differently.
They also have a temperature compensation control.
Batteries resist accepting Amps as they heat up.
Think of those oscilloscopes that show a wave pattern.
MTTP units charge at that bottom of pulse, not only the top wave.

This means Approximately 30% extra power goes in for NO EXTRA drag on system.

How often do you get something for free ?

Kiwisailor

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Getting away from the Homesteading a bit here..
I often take my survival capsule (boat) up to the Pacific Islands to live for 6 months.
When away, I put one of those tiny Solstice panels on dashboard to plug into cigarette lighter socket.
This trickle charges the car battery.
Modern vehicles constantly draw power for computer/ electronics and security system if car has one.
If a battery is disconnected and sitting on bench, it will self discharge 10% per month minimum, COMPOUNDING.
So your battery you charged and left sitting there, will be flat in approximately 4 months or less if cold.
If your battery in modern car goes flat, it could be serious dollars to repair as it will require High Tech. Support.
Gone are the days of d.i.y. car or truck servicing.
So, invest $20 on one of those dashboard chargers avail at Repco, Marine/R.V. stores if leaving vehicle for a few weeks over winter especially.
Lots of People here had expensive issues after coming out of Covid lockdown for 4 weeks not using cars.
Hope this helps even if not entirely Homesteading.. :coffee: