Basic lock blade knife for $29

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I posted about a couple of knives I have (go two thirds down the page; you'll see the pictures) that were supplied by telecom to their technicians decades ago. They are good strong basic knives with wooden scales, sheepsfoot blade with full flat grind, good comfortable handle length, good liner lock, and a strong blade spring. The blades on the knives I have are rock solid; no movement. They are two handed opening and closing. They are currently $29, but are soon going up in price to $33.19. I've asked if they can keep the current price for forum members. Shane (the guy I'm communicating with) is seeing about a 10% discount after the price goes up, which will bring price back close to what it is now. The knives. I'll post if Shane gets back with the post price increase discount. OK, he's created a discount code for members but not active yet, and apparently it will cover some other things they sell too. So, to summarise; if you want to buy now, it's $29. If you wait the price will go up, but there will be a code to bring the price back down to current pricing.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Would you say this is a good beginners multipurpose knife?
Yes. Many knives would fit that category. As a beginner, cheap is good. I like this knife; I like a lot of knives. People tend to care more for high end expensive knives; so as a beginner I'd get something, especially a first knife, that I wouldn't worry too much about if I stuffed the edge up trying to sharpen it. The steel used in this knife is where the price is cheap; and it will be made in asia somewhere. I have 2 that I believe are the same - same dimensions, look the same, and what you can't see is the liner lock (which these have). This one has an extra pin; but the other pin placements are the same, so I'm guessing it's an improvement on what I have. My ones shave, and I haven't noticed the blades getting dull quickly or easily. One thing to consider though - these don't have any form of attachment. So, they go in your pocket or a sheath (which means wearing a belt). Knives with clips are very easy to carry - clip it to your waistband or belt or to your pocket. Another thing; these are reasonably weighty compared to say a spyderco. For $29 I do recommend these - they are good knives. Like I said previously though, there are lots of good cheap knives. Otherwise, go for 4" or less when folded. Go for a clip and blade lock. Here are 2 other recommendations - more money but good quality for the money, and very good reputations, and reasonable steel:

* RAT II D2 and plastic (not cf).
* steel will cutjack mini in D2

If you post a question though, I'm sure many others here will also have recommendations. I'd also consider a sharpening system, spyderco sharpmaker (my favorite) or lansky are both popular.

Here's a larger folder that is supposedly good value and well liked, but it is nearly 5" long when closed. A lot of people like this size knife. I've just run through the buy routine and it came out at less than $50 delivered from the states. It's from massdrop (now called drop) - I haven't dealt with them, others here have.

Last edited:

EucalyptusEvie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yes. Many knives would fit that category. As a beginner, cheap is good. I like this knife; I like a lot of knives. People tend to care more for high end expensive knives; so as a beginner I'd get something, especially a first knife, that I wouldn't worry too much about if I stuffed the edge up trying to sharpen it. The steel used in this knife is where the price is cheap; and it will be made in asia somewhere. I have 2 that I believe are the same - same dimensions, look the same, and what you can't see is the liner lock (which these have). This one has an extra pin; but the other pin placements are the same, so I'm guessing it's an improvement on what I have. My ones shave, and I haven't noticed the blades getting dull quickly or easily. One thing to consider though - these don't have any form of attachment. So, they go in your pocket or a sheath (which means wearing a belt). Knives with clips are very easy to carry - clip it to your waistband or belt or to your pocket. Another thing; these are reasonably weighty compared to say a spyderco. For $29 I do recommend these - they are good knives. Like I said previously though, there are lots of good cheap knives. Otherwise, go for 4" or less when folded. Go for a clip and blade lock. Here are 2 other recommendations - more money but good quality for the money, and very good reputations, and reasonable steel:

* RAT II D2 and plastic (not cf).
* steel will cutjack mini in D2

If you post a question though, I'm sure many others here will also have recommendations. I'd also consider a sharpening system, spyderco sharpmaker (my favorite) or lansky are both popular.

Here's a larger folder that is supposedly good value and well liked, but it is nearly 5" long when closed. A lot of people like this size knife. I've just run through the buy routine and it came out at less than $50 delivered from the states. It's from massdrop (now called drop) - I haven't dealt with them, others here have.
Thank you so much for the good information! You've given me a bit to go on. Going in with no prior experience makes getting my first knife a bit overwhelming, there's so many options!

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Everything you say is right, but :D, and this is an opinion. Often it's an education. Beginners don't necessarily know what they want, or they make a poor choice due to lack of knowledge. I don't have any of the knives I've recommended, except very old versions of the $29 ones in the original post. The few I recommended were very easy recommendations based on huge numbers of popularity. Although I would like the rat II in d2. So, if someone bought one of those knives, they'd have a good knife for not a lot of money. Through experience they may discover their needs, or tastes evolve (I'd guarantee it actually), but the first knife purchase is still good. So those recommendations are purely for a first knife value for money options with great reputations. Learn to sharpen, use it, enjoy it, don't worry too much. SAKS are good, I have quite a few in tool kits for mtb and motorbike (file, hacksaw models). They are really in the realms of multi tool though, not as strong, most of them don't have locks. I wouldn't presume to recommend anything to a knife person, because they generally have personal taste backed by knowledge and experience. I do post good deals when I see them, and often they're not my sort of thing. I post them because they might be someone else's thing. Waveman and edward have amazing knives, but I only like a few of them. My collection is eclectic and i was learning, but funny enough, I like them all; they're all good. I did put time into research though, and I already had some knowledge (not much though :D). Another thing with those knives I recommended for a beginner is they are fairly basic, nothing fancy. No recurve or hollow grinds; just full flat grind, simple 20 degree bevel material, near to ideal size (the most popular size; I prefer smaller). Kind of the bread and butter of knives.

Last edited: