Bamboo Water Bottle

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here.

Thought I'd use some of the overgrown bamboo I have here on the property to try and make (among several things) a sealed water bottle. Just used my knife and saw. Was very happy with the outcome, and learnt a lot about the plant along the way.

I did manage to cut right through the inner layer, across a cm or so, and as such the water leaks through here but only when the bottle is on that angle. Next time I'll be sure to stop just shy. Apart from that, it holds water perfectly with an airtight lid.

Most challenging part was thinning the inner wall of the lid, but I got there.

Like I said, stoked with the outcome and will definitely be making more. I used the rest of the pole to make some supports for a shelter, a 4 pronged spear, and some thatched walls for one side of said shelter. Such an amazing plant. Keen to see what anybody else has used it for.

Cheers guys!Screenshot_20200116-104259_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Cheers Seeker welcome aboard!

Nice work there. Would love to see some pics of the shelter, especially the bamboo thatching 👍🏼
Thanks mate!

This shelter was just a hammock/tarp setup, but I decided to add an 'extension' with a patio for a bit more room haha. That was done using the sturdier bamboo sections. 20200127_184530.jpg
The bamboo thatching was weaved with a leaf similar to cabbage tree palm. 20200127_184353.jpg
It kept the rain we've been having out, but looks a bit worse for wear now. It's been up for about 3 weeks now, so needs some attention. But it's kept me off the ground (my first experience with hammock sleeping) and sheltered. Just a quick throw together, experimenting with resources I had on hand. 20200127_190552.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work.
I don't have access to big bamboo, but I've made a bunch of containers with lids (like you have), some nice light weight tent stakes, a knife, arrow heads ...
I always wanted to make complete arrows and an archery quiver too, but didn't have the right material

You could do some cooking using segments as pots (sticky rice and curry is a classic); plus make cups, plates, chopsticks, spoon etc (which I did do some years back when up north)....

Split the poles for weaving materials and cordage ....

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks mate!

Definitely seems to be one of those resources with endless possibilities. I did want to do some up for cooking with as well. And the arrows and quiver would be awesome!

Great idea to split them for cordage etc, I'll give that a go when I get a chance.

Thanks again Aussie

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of my old photos:

The arrow heads use the outside of the bamboo, so the hard, outer "bark" is used, ratherthan the softer inner layers
20181103_175124.jpg

Tent pegs, also using the outer layer and keeping a reasonable "radius" on th epegs so they have some stiffness.
These are very hard now they are dry
20181103_175719.jpg

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
They're awesome Aussie! Did you attempt mounting those heads on arrows? Interested to know how they'd go on impact.

Also, did you use any oils or type of treatment to prevent cracking at all?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
They're awesome Aussie! Did you attempt mounting those heads on arrows? Interested to know how they'd go on impact.

Also, did you use any oils or type of treatment to prevent cracking at all?
I mounted them and shot soft targets / ground and they were ok.

I didn't treat them. They haven't cracked, but some other items made from the same material did crack after a while .... I thing how quickly things dry, and their shape will determine if they crack .... either way, the arrow heads and stakes are ok.

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Rigged up a mozzie net under the tarp, and had my son put his tent up. Harvested some wood from a fallen tree, using my Schrade SCH36F made easy work getting to the dry inner wood for an awesome little fire that kept us entertained for hours. Cooked some beans, made some char cloth, and char wood from a nice piece of punk wood I found, and had an all round excellent night.

20200201_180958.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
endless projects you can make with the larger size bamboo, its awesome stuff to bush craft with. (y)(y)

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to make a split bamboo table and bench ?
(The style where you partially split each stem and un-roll it)

Seeker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to make a split bamboo table and bench ?
(The style where you partially split each stem and un-roll it)
That would be awesome... any suggestions on the partial splitting technique Aussie?

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
When it comes to bamboo , I kept remembering this lady.
She is seriously skilled.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
When it comes to bamboo , I kept remembering this lady.
She is seriously skilled.
That is very inspirational.
Almost meditational.
She makes it appear so easy..
Now that is the Lady I would like to have beside me at the end if the World.(y)

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That is very inspirational.
Almost meditational.
She makes it appear so easy..
Now that is the Lady I would like to have beside me at the end if the World.(y)
[/QUOTE
she is absolutely incredible. If you’ve ever seen any of her other vids.

:D
she would be an asset while your ..... um fishing
lol

suppose I should clarify , that’s not a chauvinistic comment,
I mean she would make me feel cared for and unable to match her handiness.

Last edited: