Baking by boiling

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Ok, so I've had a bit of spare time lately,and I've been looking at ideas to improve the camping/hiking menu. I use an alcohol stove, one 600ml pot with a mug sized pot as a lid. Cooks up a couple of packs of Mei Goreng with a can of tuna or chicken added, or you can boil some jerky for a bit to soften, then add dried peas, mushrooms, some spices and then thicken with Deb potato flakes for a reasonable feed. and of course soups, stews etc.

One pot means a long wait till after tea to have a cuppa though, and I hate washing the dishes!

Cruising the net and found this website: http://www.trailcooking.com/ and started reading about freezer bag cooking. I've read about it before, but never tried it. Looked interesting though, so I got started.

First step: Cosy for potset.

Raid wifey's shopping bag collection, steal one blue striped (silver inside) Coles cold food bag, one roll duct tape, scissors, sneak into shed.

TaDa!:
20170329_144214.jpg20170329_144235.jpg
20170329_144214.jpg20170329_144235.jpg

Fairly simple job, cut one rectangle, width = pot height, Length (roll it around your pot and mark where it meets, add about 5-10 mm so its not too tight.

Two circles, Use pot to mark for cutting out, one strip about 30 mm, and same length as the big rectangle. Tape together. Keep one off-cut and tape edges.

The flap and opening is to allow the handles on the pot set to stick out, and the off-cut is to block this opening when using it for freezer bag cooking.

I put it on my scales, but it's so light it didn't register.

when I put the pot set inside the cosy, it just fits back into the net carry bag...Handy!

Made my lunch in it today - Mei Goreng noodles with a can of tuna added - Put off-cut in cosy, opened up freezer bag and folded it back over the sides. put in noodles and dried onions, poured in boiling water, put lid on cosy and left for 4 minutes. Added tuna and stirred around, put lid back on for two minutes, then tried it - Cooked perfectly!

I like this very much because in one boil I can make the food and a cuppa (or two)

Then I read the bit about Fauxbaker - baking with boiling water.......

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Baking with boiling water.... http://www.bakepacker.com/ This is a very cool looking gadget, and only $23 US.......
Search shed, find aluminium roof flashing, cut circle, punch holes, cut strip about 40 mm thick:

20170329_135759.jpg20170329_135807.jpg

Almost exactly what the Trail cooking lady was using ( Sometimes my best ideas are other peoples :) )

Tried two experiments with it today.........

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Chocolate cupcakes

Equipment and ingredients:
20170329_135724.jpg

The cake in a cup mix comes in four individual bags (Cool! perfect for carrying) Cut the top off one, added two tablespoons milk as per instructions (will use one teaspoon of milk powder when camping), and mixed it up:
20170329_140134.jpg

Split the mix into the cup cake packs (I'll probably get a couple of silicon ones that can be squashed flat for bush-walking)

Put freezer bag into pot, placed the cupcakes into bag:
20170329_140408.jpg

Roll bag up. making sure it's completely inside the pot, then put lid on.
20170329_140429.jpg

I added 5mls fuel to prime, and 60 mls for the burn (20mls= 5 minutes of burn time) and placed pot into cookset:
20170329_140817.jpg
The fuel actually burned for 16 minutes and 50 seconds, because it primed almost immediately due to the volume of fuel in the burner.

This was a winner:
20170329_142735.jpg20170329_144111.jpg

They tasted great. And there was just enough water left in the pot that I could use it to make instant custard in a freezer bag, maybe add some sultanas or other tasty tings, then drop the cakes into the bag for a scrumptious trail pudding.

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Scones

Equipment and ingredients:
20170329_143012.jpg
(Sorry, don't know how to rotate the picture)

I put two tablespoons of scone mix and one tablespoon of milk into the ziplock bag ( will substitute on teaspoon of milk powder in bag for camping, and add water instead of milk) closed zip and mixed it up. if you do most of the mixing through the bag, and only put your hand to the mixture once it's almost mixed, you'll keep your hand fairly clean. By pure dumb luck it was exactly the right amount of liquid to produce a good mix.
20170329_143505.jpg

I kneaded it a bit (bad move, wifey tells me I should have mixed it as little as possible to improve the rising), split it into two, added to cup cake packs and put into pot, inside ziplock bag.20170329_143801.jpg

This time I put 60 mls fuel in, let it burn put (15 mins 10 seconds burn time)...
20170329_150254.jpg

They didn't rise much (see wifeys comment above) but they were cooked nicely and tasted good with a bit of butter.

Lessons from this:

with some parmesan cheese and maybe a bit of black pepper added to the mix, they would make a great savoury scone. I'll be trying that tomorrow!

savoury style, done small they would make a great dumpling to be added to soups or stews being cooked in the freezer bag setup.

Next time i won't use the cupcake packs, I'll just put the dough straight into the freezer bag.

Next time, four spoons of mix, not two.

Not bad tucker for an ultra light bushwalking cookset!

I hope this is useful, and helps you lift your camp cooking a bit.

I'll be trying out some of the other freezerbag recipes over the next few days/weeks, would anyone like to see the results?

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I have done a bit of steam baking in a silicon cup using tinfoil to make a suspender for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It is an effective method and a good one to experiment with.

I've made a couple of pot cosy using the well known Reflectix material. Made mine double layer for extra insulation. Also made one designed to take freeze dried meal bags which actually doubles as a good little "esky". Take frozen snags, bacon etc in it and it'll stay cold for a few days in the cooler months and good overnight even in summer.

Similarly I've also tried steam baking though only at home so far. I got this little doughnut style cake pan (can't recall their proper name) that fits my Snowpeak pot with the theory you can worry less about the middle cooking through. Not ultralight but light enough that I'd carry it for an overnighter or kayak trip. This attempt it stuck a little but it was cooked through and very moist. Was just a packet mix red velvet cake.

Would love to see what else you come up with. I really need to get back to my trails with the method.

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
That cozy looks real good, Apsilon. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Reflectix material, and where do you get it? It looks like a better product than the coles bag idea! What tape did you use, it doesn' look like ordinary duct tape?

I'll be trying a few of the recipes on http://www.trailcooking.com/ over the next week or so, but with ingredients i can buy here in Oz, and I will post tests and results online. The lady that runs that website has some real tasty sounding recipes on her website!

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
That cozy looks real good, Apsilon. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Reflectix material, and where do you get it? It looks like a better product than the coles bag idea! What tape did you use, it doesn' look like ordinary duct tape?
Reflectix is very similar to those car windshield sun shades. Basically bubble wrap with a mylar sheet on each side. Not commonly available here so I think most people use the car sun screens. I'm not certain as it's been a while but I got mine from ebay. The tape is a very thin aluminium tape IIRC used for AC ducting. I know you can get similar tape at Bunnings. Not really anything special about it, just matches the Reflectix.

Keen to see what recipies you come up with. US has it easy as they have much larger variety of not only food but the way it's packed.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I think reflectix must have a higher R value then car windshields given the way people carry on about it. I have made a few pot cozys and they never seem to perform as well as I think they should.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Well the material is a little thicker than sunshades and often those shades the bubbles are more spread out so yes, I would think Reflectix is a better insulator but it's not easy to find here.

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Cheesy Tuna Mornay:
Ingredients: All bought at local Woolworths supermarket.
Select Brand Four cheeses Pasta and sauce.
Picon cream cheese spread in individual foil wraps, shelf stable. Use one wedge.
one teaspoon Parmesan cheese
2 x 95 Gms or 1 x 190 gms can of plain or smoked tuna. (I like the smoked)
20170403_102820.jpg
Preparation at home:

Put 4 cheeses mix into freezer bag, plus one teaspoon Parmesan cheese
Add one one wedge cream cheese, Still in foil to bag

Prepped for packing
20170403_103054.jpg
At Camp:
Remove cream cheese pack from freezer bag, Shake mixture up to mix, Place bag in cozy.

Put water on to boil, when water boiling pour in 1 1/2 cups (300mls) boiling water into freezer bag

Stir contents through, close bag, cover, sit for 6 Minutes.

Remove cream cheese from foil, Open freezer bag add cheese and stir through.

Open Tuna, drain water, add tuna to freezer bag, stir thoroughly to mix evenly.

Close up bag, sit for 5 - 7 minutes before eating.

I had it for lunch today, Excellent! I do like cheese though. If you wanted, you could drop the parmesan and cream cheese and add 1 teaspoon of milk powder I guess, But Cheesey is the point!

Enjoy...

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Zip lock cooking is very handy and saves on the cleanup effort too.

Works well for hot breakfasts. We often do a porridge or hot weetbix combo.
We dehydrate meals, the re-hydrate / cook in the zip lock.

Because the zip locks can become a bit "soft" and hard to hold, we rest them in our (large) cup, also helps hold heat and means your hands don't burn, stops the bag tipping etc

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Yeah, the real Reflectix is quite a bit better than the car shield stuff, as far as insulation goes, you can triple up the layer with sun shield and it performs as well.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I have done multi layers of car stuff and by the time I got to three layers my pot was super big.