Axe refurb

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
It's been a while since I contributed here, although I have been checking in from time to time and things are really going great here... So good to see the community growing and developing.

Much has been and can be said for the merits of Axes and their place in Bushcraft here in Australia, but I am a firm believer that what ever your opinion, the Axe still holds a very special place in the world of traditional skills and the wilderness. With that being said, I came across this Axe head recently and was compelled to give it a new lease on life and restore some of its glory.

There are no markings on the head, which is a shame, I would love to have tracked down it's maker. The bit is actually in very good shape, and the blade itself is a decent convex shape. There is very little damage to the poll, so it might not be as old as it seems...

This thing is heavy! It's well over 2kgs and has a fairly large eye... There has been a layer of green paint which has faded some... For an idea of scale here it is next to a Gransfors Brux Small Forest Axe ...

Safe to say it needs a bit of work, but I'm looking forward to seeing a great axe appear.

Stay tuned for some developments!

GB

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to progress pics.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Yeah A good axe is hard to beat, that looks in good nick; my Plumb Tasmanian (41/2lb) looks similar and that has no markings either.
Timber handle or fiberglass?? If timber, hickory or Australian hardwood?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah A good axe is hard to beat, that looks in good nick; my Plumb Tasmanian (41/2lb) looks similar and that has no markings either.
Timber handle or fiberglass?? If timber, hickory or Australian hardwood?
I seam to remember Graybear had some nice spotted gum some time ago...on a knife handle. That would be a good choice in my opinion!

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I seam to remember Graybear had some nice spotted gum some time ago...on a knife handle. That would be a good choice in my opinion!
I do have spotted gum... But I think I'm going to source a handle pre-made. I know it sounds like a cop out, but I have tried making axe handles before and it is a mission to get it jus right... It's a head worthy of a decent handle for sure, so I'm wanting a guarranteed success. Don't judge me for not making one from scratch!! Haahha

I'm also wanting to keep the whole salvage/ recycling ethos of this project in mind, so im hoping not to buy one from the big green warehouse we all so heavily rely on, for some reason, I feel like it's in better keeping with the heart of Bushcraft to seek out more sustainable means for my projects.

GB

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Graybear.
Nice Axe looks in great condition.
I did make mention elsewhere in this group you could get a Qld Nut timber handle, although spotted gum is Aussies regular timber.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice project.

Once the head is cleaned up a bit, you may like to soak it overnight in (a mild acid like) vinegar. This may reveal any identification markings which were stamped into the head but which are not visible at the moment. I've done this on an old chisel which I'm turning into a knife and was amazed at the markings which I thought had dissapeared, suddenly re-appear. Just like on CSI !