Axe Refurb finally finished!!

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Its done! I oiled up the handle and did a final sand of the whole thing... If you've been following the progress, its now a very fine axe to use and splits wood with ease and now just needs a good test on some real lumber. It hangs rather well and is pretty well balanced. Here's some pics: (There's a whole lot more pics on my blog with more info etc...)

Thanks for reading...

GB

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
May I suggest wrapping the shaft now. Will save the axe handle a lot of wear and tear and make it a lot stronger, you can use copper wire; fencing wire ( but not the high tensile stuff) or just polyester cord or fibreglass tape and epoxy resin.
Actually cord/fibreglass and epoxy is the strongest but least "Bushcrafty"
an old-fashioned 6 inches or 155mm will do it.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh man that is sweet!. Nice job, a credit to you, I love seeing these old tools given new life for another century or so!

Bushlore

Russell Coight
Reaction score
GB mate great to see you on hear as well. I'm hoping you might be able to assist. I am looking for some recommendations for decent but reasonably priced tomahawks or forest axes. Any ideas?

Rich

Bush Lore

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Thanks all for the kind words, it's a great feeling completing these projects... There's more to come for sure.

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
GB mate great to see you on hear as well. I'm hoping you might be able to assist. I am looking for some recommendations for decent but reasonably priced tomahawks or forest axes. Any ideas?

Rich

Bush Lore
I will send you a personal message soon, I just want to give you the best answer I can! Stay tuned!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great work graybear. Awesome to see an old tool brought back to life with detail and attention. I have a bunch on my grandfathers old tools which i would love to restore so i might have get some tips from you when i get around to you.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Learning from practical hands on experience the only way to learn and gain the skills that are required