Axe Refurb #2

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should have carried on the old thread or started a new one?? Anyway, here's a new one.

I finally grabbed a few minutes on the old axe head (see old thread for 'before' shots), and the results have beed great!

In all honesty, I could have employed more patience in the removal of the rust etc... but life is too short and the grinder was put to use to bring up the shiny metal underneath the rust and paint! Forgive me for not using more, shall we say, traditional methods, but it got the job done. Props to those who offered advice and methods, I might yet use them on other projects... ! Here is the head now:

I spent some time on the edge, but not its not at its final state yet. To be fair, it will be used for heavy splitting and chopping, so its not a hair shaver for sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a decent handle on it soon and I'll show you the results for sure..

You can read more on the blog if you like.

GB

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Good job GB! Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project, handle and all.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nearly there mate! Looking forward to seeing that handle!

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Graybear
it looks good but my only concern is the use of grinder. As it does not take a lot of heat to weaken a axe heads hardness.

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Graybear
it looks good but my only concern is the use of grinder. As it does not take a lot of heat to weaken a axe heads hardness.
Totally with you on this point, I was sure to keep it cool with plenty of water as i went... The actual bit wasn't given a lot of grinding at all, as I did that by hand, so it was only the main body of the head that go the grinding. To be precise, I used a belt grinder that in actual fact spins quite slowly, so the heat damamge was kept to a minimum... good call though...

GB

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Yes what wood you going to use..?
I was going to fashion up one of my own with various options, but I think I'm going to chicken out and purchase a handle. I've made handles before but I just wanted something I cold totally guarantee to be right... so I'll keep you updated as I go. (Don't think less of me for not fashioning one from a near by tree!!)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well an axe head is a fairly large heat sink and to be honest I have removed many old axe handles by throwing the whole thing in a fire; head and all and it never seemed to make much difference. Competition axes are another story as I think they are edge hardened, most axes are tough but not all that hard

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Axes other than the comp or speed axes are made from two different metals usually the main body is of a mild steel at the edge is a carbon steet the two are welded together. this process is also to keep the cost of axes down. heat will cause the the edge to loose its blade retention so more sharpening required and in worse senario can cause the two metals to seperate.
I too have remove axe handles with fire but the timber burns out quickly and i believe the head of axe does not get hot enough to make a huge difference i agree

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well I would agree that a "Good" axe is or should be bi-metal, most new ( cheaper ) axes won't be as that type of production costs extra money.

If I was better with a stick welder I'd take the time to hardface all my axes.
if using a fire to remove an old handl my grandad said to bury the edge in the dirt and build the fire over the top; that would make sense as the high heat would be away from the edge

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
That advice abut burying the edge is good indeed! Every book I've read about removing the head by fire has said to bury the bit....so he's spot on. I would have been more concerned about messing with the temper if it wasn't such a robust head, it truly is a brute. And so far as I can see, it looks to be one piece, rather the twompiece design of other axes. I have a Gransfors and it has the carbon edge forge welded on, the join is noticeable upon inspection...

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Just thought I would drop in and give the latest update. I've found the handle I will be using for this project. Its approx 31" or 800mm.

The best part is I got it for $5 ! I found a stack of them at Brisbane Disposals and they seem pretty good. Just a little cosmetic damage, but perfectly sound. I chose one with the best grain I could (as straight along the handle as possible). Its gonna be good once it's sanded down and oiled up a bit. The dude in the shop assured me it was Australian hard wood, but who knows...

I'll keep you posted on the fitting and final finish....

GB

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good! Awesome price too, at that price you should have bought the lot!

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for the update - what a bargain!

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well its taken a while, but I'm so close to finishing up this project, just need to do a final oil up etc, but here's a few pics of the handle being fitted to the head...

Here's the eye being fit to the head of the handle, you can see its a bit small at one end, but it won't matter...

Then here's the wedge being cut to shape, I used some good old Aussie spotted gum.

And being fitted:

And the finished product!

YOu can read a bit more in detail of the process on the ol blog, but thats the jist of it! I will take some nice pics soon of the final product... it feels very good in the hand, I think the hang sits just right.

Speak soon,

GB