BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Australian Wood Duck (Chenonetta jubata)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Australian Wood Duck

Scientific name: Chenonetta jubata

Family: Anatidae

Order: Anseriformes

Other Names: Maned Duck,Maned Goose.

Distribution: widespread in Australia, including Tasmania.

Habitat:The Australian Wood Duck is found in grasslands, open woodlands, wetlands, flooded pastures and along the coast in inlets and bays. It is also common on farmland with dams

Field Notes: a medium-sized 'goose-like' duck with a dark brown head and a pale grey body with two black stripes along the back. Males have the darker head and a small dark mane, with a speckled brown-grey breast and a black lower belly and undertail. The females have a paler head with two white stripes, above and below the eye, a speckled breast and flanks, with a white lower belly and undertail. In flight, the wings are pale grey above, contrasting with black wingtips, and have a noticeable white bar on the underside (the secondaries). They walk easily on land and may be seen perching on logs and in trees. They will only take to open water when disturbed

Photos by Auscraft, 2011. My Yard, QLD

View attachment 922

View attachment 1035

Male Front left corner other females
Photos By Auscraft Sept 2011

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Funny, duck hunting has been banned in Queensland for a long time but wild ducks are still very
nervous when people try to approach them.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
The Australian Wood Duck forms monogamous breeding pairs that stay together year round. It nests in tree holes, above or near water, often re-using the same site. Both parents feed young and young birds remain with them up to a month after fledging.

Breeding season:
September to November in the south; after rain in the north.

Clutch Size:
8 to 10 eggs.

Incubation:
28 days.

Nestling Period:
57 days
SOURCE
View attachment 5753

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Bartnmaxs's mouth is watering!

Am I really that easy to read Corin ;-) Yeah, ya right tho.
One of my fav' types of duck hunting is stalking along the creeks of Southern NSW chassing woodies & blackies.
Woodies are also very prevelent on the rice fields of sthrn NSW during gthe summer months.
Once they start getting stuck into the rice, those grain fed woodies make marvelous eating.

For those that may not be familar with em the two smaller/lighter coloured ducks in the forground in 'Auscrafts' 2nd pic are the woodies.
Male woody has the chocolate brown head & the female has the light brown head with white stripe.
The larger birds behind with the black/white striped heads are Pacific Black ducks (or in NZ they are referred to as Grey Ducks).
They have a very haunting call as they 'meow' to each other.
They are basically grazing ducks that are often found on farm dams, etc - always with one sharp eyed sentry stanbding on the top of the bajnk to give warning should danger approach.

Love them woodies.

Bill.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The Australian Wood Duck forms monogamous breeding pairs that stay together year round. It nests in tree holes, above or near water, often re-using the same site. Both parents feed young and young birds remain with them up to a month after fledging.

Breeding season:
September to November in the south; after rain in the north.

Clutch Size:
8 to 10 eggs.

Incubation:
28 days.

Nestling Period:
57 days
SOURCE
View attachment 5753

It's a bit hard to tell for an absolute certainty but I believe that going by the wing plumage, this photo may actualy be of a pink eared duck & not a woody.

Bill.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Pink Eared Duck.
Both 'Pinkys' & 'Woodys' are known for their nesting in hollowed out tree trunks.

Bill.

Attachments

• Pink eared duck.jpg
    Pink eared duck.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Behaviour-wise, the old wood duck doesn't have much road sense, so drive carefully around them.

When I was on my Ps I ran into a mob of about 20 of them on a blind corner. A mate who was following said he saw my brake lights and then a big cloud of feathers. The old XC coupe went through them like a combine harvester. I was picking bits of duck out of the grille and windscreen vents for a couple of days. I was horrified then and I'm still horrified by the memory of it.

They aren't the brightest bird in the Australian bush, but they are one of the most endearing, with a big personality. I love 'em to bits. One of my favourite local critters.

Reminds me of a mate that had a VW powered air boat he used in the SW area of NSW.
Watched as he headed round the corner of a big clump of cumbingi once - straight into a flock of woodies.
Litterally the s _ _ t hit the fan - feathers everywhere

Bill.