BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Australian Hobby (Falco longipennis)

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Common Name: Australian hobby

Scientific Name: Falco longipennis (referes to wing tips)

Family: Falconidae

Order: Falconiformes

Other Names: Little falcon.

Distribution: Throughout Australiand some parts of Asia.

Habitat: Most land surface types (prefers open woody and agricultural) Denser forests are unsuitable but open woodland is its prefered habitat.

Field Notes: Strongly resembles the peregrine falcon, but is much smaller and darker coloured. Migrates into Asia. May shadow the collared sparrowhawk, stooping on prey too fast for the other raptor. This is definitely not a c=operative effort, the sparrohawks often attacking the hobby. Note this example is less than two km from Auscraft shot of the sparrowhawk. 30-36 cm.When breeding, it seizes the nest of another bird.

DSCF81732640x480.jpg

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Nice shot,
It does surprise me with the overlaps the birds of prey have in territories and seem to be co existing well together unlike the other birds that swoop , squark and attack these bigger stronger birds even if just flying by.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Not a joke latin name.
After all Pontius Pilot had "a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called 'Biggus Dickus'."
...and no laughing!

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Very nice find Dusty M. Hopefully it tis the season and will see more of them around.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never thought I'd be jealous of a small bird. Very cool, the bird I mean