Australian Bushcrafting vids/youtube

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this post is a call to all members(myself included) of BushcraftOz to see if they can start to produce Australian specific youtube vids, I post many American/UK vids, I find it almost impossible to find Aussie specific vids, hence the US/UK vids. Can we all make an effort to start to add an Aussie perspective.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
So what do you need in order to make something that isn't totally childish and laughable??
I have trouble with a lot of U-Tube stuff, un-edited and garbled in a lot of cases and often 5 minutes of BS before you get to the kernel of imformation hidden in the verbage

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
from what I know, 10 minute max, ensure you are clear and concise with what you want to film/and thru out your presentation. Use a camera/tri pod set up(no shaky images them) I am thinking , look to your favorite Youtubers and try to learn from them as far as style/content/presentation goes. Also as you say Moondog55 edit your clip BEFORE you upload to youtube.Have a plan as to what you want to present.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
No plan, until i read your post I had no intention of ever doing anything, I am no expert on anything except my trade.
I have a tripod here but no movie cameraso I have never bought or used any videi editing programs.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I honestly believe that you don't need to be an "expert" at bushcrafting (or any other field for that matter)to make and post a youtube vid. I actually prefer the vids that show failures, as well as success, Youtube is a forum to show any type of skill level.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here is a Aussie BC vid I have found
[video=youtube;8_7dUEpbpg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7dUEpbpg4[/video]

and another showing an arrow made from black boy stems.
[video=youtube;4uSV3dS_76U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uSV3dS_76U[/video]

Last edited:

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I honestly believe that you don't need to be an "expert" at bushcrafting (or any other field for that matter)to make and post a youtube vid. I actually prefer the vids that show failures, as well as success, Youtube is a forum to show any type of skill level.
Yeah I gotta agree here.
I know this'll no doubt bring the detractors out but I enjoy watching Bear, Cody & DC on foxtel.
However, what I absolutely hate is seeing Bear climb bloody 300 foot sheer clifs, absail down verticle drop off, eat bloody scorpians, & do all sort of things that only a very experienced survivalist would even contemplate doing, just after listening to hikm during his into saying "I'll show you the skills you'll need to survive".
The fact is that if the average 'Joe Citizen' got lost & tried even a 1/10 of what bear does then they would most certainly nend up dead within the first 1/2hr.
I personally find it veru irresponsible telling people they need to be able to repel down a 200 foot cliff using a jungle vine & then drop into a raging torrent of a river, in order for them to survive. It's basically encouraging average people that do find themselves in a survival situation to end their lives as quick as they can.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoy watching those guys, & there are some things that can be picked up that are very handy to know, but these guys simply do not know their audience IMO. The average person that get's lost & finds themself in the situaion those guys place themselves into, simply would not survive if they tried what they try what they are shown.

What I did find interesting was Bear's show where he took a couple of 'street guys' with him. Hmmm, those guys had a hellova problem keepiung up with Bear, & they were a damned sight younger & fitter then many.

What I'd like to see is a 'Mark Berg' approch (yeah I know he's a bit of a dork, but I like his concept all the same).
For those that dont know whom Mark Berg is, he hosts a fishing show whereby he seelcts someone from a heap of names drawn from a berrel, & takes em fishing with him. Yeah he can be a bit of a tosser but at least we get to see the average guy do his thing & not just some expert catching fish after fish & never loosing anything.

I'd love to see Bear, Cody, DC select an average person off the street to take with them into those situations. The older guy, the young kid, the overweight bloke, the slighly built girl. Show those people how to survive in the wild, not aim it at ex SAS guys that can eat dirt, drink their own p..s, & make a shelter out of frog s..t.

The fact is that it's often those that have the least knowledge & experience that often find the most use for it.
The guys that are really savvy in the wild aren't generally the one's that get lost & have to work to survive in the first place.

For that reason I reckon Ray Mears would have to be the stand out guy on vid/DVD/tele at present.
What he does & what he teaches is aimed at the average bush goer & not the expert.

Dunno what others think.

Bill A.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm hoping in the not-too-distant future to buy myself a 'Go Pro' camera.
However, as I'm not filming expert I am open to suggestionsd from others in regard to recomended cameras.
I'm also fairly heavilly involved in game fishing & would like to get some vids up on game fishing, bushcrafting, gundogs, etc
I'd love to see more Aussie central stuff posted.

Bill A.

Last edited:

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hey Barntmax,
It would be great to see your videos when you get the chance. The game fishing would be cool. I think watching others experiences on videos inspires confidence in us all. I get a real buzz watching others have a great time doing what they like best. I believe we all learn from each other irrespective of what skill level we are. I find videos great being a novice cause I learn best by visual and demonstration.

I be watching out for your posts!!
Dusty

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Here is the video I posted when introducing myself on the forum, but it is probably more pertinent to have it here. The video is from my recent solo camping bushcraft trip just outside of Perth
[video=youtube_share;v5eMEdUO3K0]http://youtu.be/v5eMEdUO3K0[/video]

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a really nice intro video Doc.
Looks like a great camping area and some great gear.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie123, I really had a great time and came back home very relaxed:_sii: