Australian army's parentie

southey

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Howdy chaps, just asking on behalf on a mate. :)

"Hi Guys,
I hope that someone can help, I am aware that the ADF have awarded the contracts for the replacement of these vehicles to merc and a modified G wagon. I have seen rumours on the web over the past few years of the Land Rovers being up for disposal. However i have not seen been able to find anything within the last year or so with updated information. I was wondering if anyone in Australia had heard anything?

Cheers for looking

Louis"

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hmmm... you wont find any of the 6x6 Perenties (long range patrol vehicles) on the market for many years to come, they don't belong to regular forces (they were designed and made for use by a specific unit) and as such will not be available for disposal. Stock standard 110's however will slowly trickle through over the next 10-15 years as the fleet is changed... if they ever are released they will be well an truly flogged (like all military vehicles) and of a very limited number, the SRV's we used in Timor (110 4x4 versions) were crushed rather than returned to oz or left for the local forces to use... ADF is funny about who gets to use their toys...

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I heard a rumor the other day that the ADF were selling off all their Land Rovers soon as they were changing over to Mercedes Benz G wagons. It was supposed to be the biggest sell off of army surplus since Vietnam. I don't know how true it is but IIRC it was on the ABC radio a couple of weeks ago.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Just now there should be some on auction on Grays.. maybe its done by now.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
In answer to the OP:
by now, most of you would have seen adds for Australian Frontline Machinery in the 4wd press and some TV shows.
The deal is this-
Defence has contracted AFM as the disposal agent, who in turn uses Grays online as the Auctioneer.

WE have seen 12 months of auctions and vehicles in varying condition and type.

The answer to the question of 'Are they any good'? is a difficult one.
They are not all crap or all brilliant. The ADF is a big company and the operators care and sympathy varies greatly.
Some vehicles are pool vehicles and not so great, others are pool but exceptional.
I have seen some that have had 1 owner ( an RFSU platoon) and probably 6 drivers in its' life, yet I wouldn't touch it because of the AO it was from and the condition it was in.
My RFSV was in great nick with 82 000k from new and drove like a dream!

There has been so much mis-information that I decided to write a buyers guide on the subject that helps to select what suits you and what to look for.
Feel free to ask questions!
Cheers, BDave.

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
In answer to the OP:
by now, most of you would have seen adds for Australian Frontline Machinery in the 4wd press and some TV shows.
The deal is this-
Defence has contracted AFM as the disposal agent, who in turn uses Grays online as the Auctioneer.

WE have seen 12 months of auctions and vehicles in varying condition and type.

The answer to the question of 'Are they any good'? is a difficult one.
They are not all crap or all brilliant. The ADF is a big company and the operators care and sympathy varies greatly.
Some vehicles are pool vehicles and not so great, others are pool but exceptional.
I have seen some that have had 1 owner ( an RFSU platoon) and probably 6 drivers in its' life, yet I wouldn't touch it because of the AO it was from and the condition it was in.
My RFSV was in great nick with 82 000k from new and drove like a dream!

There has been so much mis-information that I decided to write a buyers guide on the subject that helps to select what suits you and what to look for.
Feel free to ask questions!
Cheers, BDave.
Awesome mate, I am contemplating pulling the trigger on one of the 110 Landys currently on auction in Minto, heading down there this arvo to have a gander. :)

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Good luck, WF.
Make sure you check the TGM120 (log book) for a few things:
The number of units the vehicle has been with
Carefully read the last few pages of the maintenance records
Look at the total number of hours of repairs. It shouldn't exceed 1400 in its life unless it has had a full rebuild.
You can check this by seeing if the maintanance history has been zeroed and only starts about 6-8 years ago.

Check for ccorrosion in the firewall (both sides), footwells, door tops and bottoms, in the battery box under the Pax seat.
If you are gunning for the RFSV, i can help you with specifics there.
Cheers, BDave.

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks Mate appreciate the tips! I will see how I go today I spent some time yesterday looking at them all, Depending on how high the bidding goes today I may wait till next months auction to have a go :) The RFSV is probably the best unit there today but looks like there is a lot of interest so will go out of my price range :( All good im sure when the right one comes along I will be driving around in my own 110 :) Thanks Again for the Tips Dave :)