Aust. Camping Museum; ever seen one?

GPPJ

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I don't think we will ever see a Museum Of Camping or Bushcraft. :(

Do others here have an interest in how camping changes yet somehow stays the same because the needs of shelter, food, utility and adaption are with us forever - even if we are in a tin box going to Mars.

Older photos of camping or adaptation to living in an isolated place are welcome here!

My interest began with one or two old books and a quarter-ton of old Nat Geo mags I have...

...and I have lately found some interesting pix are online at the Nat Archives.

1915 Liverpool Army Camp Post Office. It looks very late-Victorian-Boer--Khyber Pass-Crimea-War era. Guy ropes are easily recognizable:

liverpool-army-camp-post-office-1915.jpg

1927 Mt Coree Forest workers:

forest-worker-camp-mt-coree-1927.jpg

1950 Snowy Mtn Scheme Savings Bank. Look at the tarp roof idea, it sort of tells a story about coping with wild weather:

SMHEA-three-mile-camp-savings-bank-1950.jpg

1952 Snowy Mtn Scheme temp-permanent hut, no shortage of rocks around there:

SMHEA-swampy-plains-1952.jpg

1961 Drovers camp, northern Qld:

drovers-camp-dotswood-stn-qld-1961.jpg

1990 Drovers kitchen, Innamincka SA:

drovers-camp-kitchen-innamincka-stn-sa-1990.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
How interesting and what great pics.... I cannot agree more how full circle it seems to go. Even with modern innovations and technologies the basic principals seem to be re established time and again... DJ

GPPJ

Russell Coight
Reaction score
In the first b/w drovers pic we see a basic hassle (a pet hate) that there is nothing to sit on.

I have a lightweight aluminium 3 leg camp stool but when I got it last year for a biv, the weight/items carried had to be culled (as you do)and I left it at home:
see example http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDc0WDUwMA==/z/XdkAAOSwBahVUZ~J/$_12.JPG

In the second drovers colour pic we see a gas fridge closest to camera and a freezer on the other side -it looks like a Whirlpool washing machine (but unlikely - where would the water come from?)
I see camp ovens and a big BBQ plate over gas burners I presume.
The steel mesh panels hanging from the tray would accomplish what? maybe an overnight keep for the dogs or maybe chooks?

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread GPPJ. I love all the old photos of camping and the stuff they used.

GPPJ

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Good finds there -I like the pot belly in the first one and the last one with the canoes and the planks holding up the tents.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Cool photos.

Maybe someone should start an online BC/camping museum as a wiki or other form of web site. A real life museum is great if you can get there, but online makes it more accessible.

I'd love to learn more about traditional practices, tools, etc. And to see more photos and descriptions of tools and gear.

Would be even better if it covered the approaches of all cultures. So cover the white aussie settlers approaches, as well as the original peoples' approaches, as well as approaches from around the world in other cultures.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The tents with the women sitting in front remind me of the scout tents that each patrol was supplied with. We would lash a stringy bark ridge pole to A frames, then throw the tent over.

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The large tipi type tents with the walls up and multiple tie outs date from WW 1 period. Probably US or Canadian training camp.