Aussie plant ID and propagation

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
For your consideration.

I have been interested in native plants for many many years especially Bushtuker, I n an attempt to learn I have done courses including permaculture.
I have many books on the australian plants fro general to specific species, One thing is very clear these books and courses are just guides you need hands on practicle experiences.

There are many groups around Australia that promote native plants including ed centres, But if you are wanting to learn may I suggest your local Landcare Nurseries they are always looking for volunteers. Your experiences will include plant ID, potting ,talking to botanists , propagation and collection.
I will write more on these types of places in my bushtucker log of building your own tucker garden, Not yet done writting but it will be soon , this log will include problems i faced establishing and fixes also plant selections.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Yes please, just that the bush-tucker plants form Qld most probably won't grow here.
What does grow here hasn't been selected for edibility as much as for easy propagation. I have actually tried Kangaroo Apple and they are not that good, even when rotten ripe and skin off they are so bitter as to pucker the mouth for an hour or so.
I grow mainly locally endangered native grasses in my nature strip ( much to the annoyance of my neighbors who just do not understand ) I'd like to add a few native edibles if they come in around that council maximum height of 300mm, I also grow parsley thyme, basil and oregano in my nature strip garden

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great info Auscraft and thankyou, i too am interested in this area,im wanting to learn that is - i dont know much about it yet but its one area im keen to educate my self on and be educated in. I would love to volunteer and help out somewhere, never thought of that, awesome. I have been looking at doing courses at tafe or distance learning but now you mention volunteering i think that would be a great way to start out, really needs to be hands on stuff hey. Theres only so much a book can show you.

Look forward to it, cheers. :)

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
good stuff!
i volunteer from time to time at a native plant nursery run by our council. trying to found eddible native plants is where i want to concentrate my learning in this area as well. i like flowers but u cannot eat them!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing is very clear these books and courses are just guides you need hands on practicle experiences.
Thats very true. I have quite and extensive library on the subject, but only about 10% of what I know came from the books most is knowledge shared with others. Once someone has shown you a plant, you have seen it first hand and know what identifies it, it is easy to find it again.

I started a facebook page some time back. Lots of people contribute on there if it is of use to anyone...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/180521509504/

I have actually tried Kangaroo Apple and they are not that good, even when rotten ripe and skin off they are so bitter as to pucker the mouth for an hour or so.
I grow mainly locally endangered native grasses in my nature strip ( much to the annoyance of my neighbors who just do not understand ) I'd like to add a few native edibles if they come in around that council maximum height of 300mm, I also grow parsley thyme, basil and oregano in my nature strip garden
edible does not necessarily mean palatable! Your nature strip sounds awesome to me, whats the issue?

Great info Auscraft and thankyou, i too am interested in this area,im wanting to learn that is - i dont know much about it yet but its one area im keen to educate my self on and be educated in. I would love to volunteer and help out somewhere, never thought of that, awesome. I have been looking at doing courses at tafe or distance learning but now you mention volunteering i think that would be a great way to start out, really needs to be hands on stuff hey. Theres only so much a book can show you.

Look forward to it, cheers. :)
If you are Genuinely interested mate send me a PM I will send you details of a few walks toward the end of the year (when most plants are in flower fruit) Not easy walks but good for the tucker! I am always happy to share what I know! (as little as that may be)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Corin the issue with my neighbors ( Not with the council who support ) is that native grasses are "untidy" and I am in a minority of one at the moment.

Not that looking untidy stops locals from harvesting herbs hen they need them, buy that's OK with me, it is why I planted them.
I should plant a kangaroo apple and keep it pruned back

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I have started to write some info in the bushtucker plants thread.
Moondog55 you may be surprised what you can grow. I hope to expain this in the ongoing theard mentioned.
WA and Tas may have troubles due to strict plant quarantines.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning a lot more about our native bushtucker, Corin you are a wealth of information. :)