BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie fatwood

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
My mate just sent me a heap of fatwood(resinous pine wood)that he harvested off his property, apparently he has more of this wood then he knows what to do with, fire experiments, with full report to come this week end.
When I opened the post bag my nose was assaulted by the resin smell and you can see the sap just about oozing out of the wood.
2011-12-01_12-58-17_464.jpg

2011-12-01_12-58-24_687.jpg

have a look at this end bit, see the resin, the darker bits.
2011-12-01_12-58-39_257.jpg

well I couldn't wait till the week end to try this stuff out, I picked the least resinous piece of the bunch, feathered part and made a little pile of shavings, three strikes from my 1/2"x5" ferro rod and it was off, it was also very windy so a good test, the whole piece began to burn and I am confident that with just this one piece of fatwood I could set a sustainable fire no problems, this is the go for tinder, if you can get a hold of it try it you won't be disappointed.
feathered piece of fatwood
2011-12-01_15-18-35_322.jpg

and 2-3 seconds after I struck it with the ferro rod9the time it took to pick up the phone and take the pic)
2011-12-01_15-19-17_145.jpg

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hmmm... useful stuff... still looking for my own source of fat/grease wood for my kit..

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Do you know what species of pine tree it came from? Looks like a pyros delight.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Do you know what species of pine tree it came from? Looks like a pyros delight.

mate I don't know the name of the particular pine tree's my mate has on his property, they just look like the normal pine tree's to me..... Next time I am over there I will take pics of the particular tree's and then you may be able to identify the species.

AFAIK and pine can be turned into fatwood, knock one over, leave it for a month ot two and there you have fatwood.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
no problems Karl, and my mate has left several pieces "ready for harvesting" so when I next go over there I can see it before it is harvested.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So are all pines classed as fatwood or are some better that others.?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and some vids related to fatwood

[video=youtube;5dVdepPA-gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVdepPA-gc[/video]
[video=youtube;88tB_MLLxfY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88tB_MLLxfY[/video]
and a demo on lighting fatwood fuzzies with a ferro rod

[video=youtube;6OTrqA0vfss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OTrqA0vfss[/video]

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting,but with so much great tinder in the Australian bush kind of whats the point.??I think that fat wood is a great for the colder and wetter northern forests...But I kind of don't see the point in the Australian bush.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting,but with so much great tinder in the Australian bush kind of whats the point.??I think that fat wood is a great for the colder and wetter northern forests...But I kind of don't see the point in the Australian bush.

What about as a fire steel handle ? Which Australian timbers would be such a good (sacraficial) handle for such a tool ?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
along these lines Aussie123
the Aussie survival tool(combines a ferro rod, magnesium rod and a fatwood handle) I have one of these, and can attest to their quality.

http://www.the-firestarter.com.au/

I haven't found a natural tinder that compares with fatwood, honestly this is a good bit of kit. Now that I have a Aussie source of fatwood I am going to keep a middle finger sized slab in all of my kits.

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here's how to make a fatwood torch
[video=youtube;Z9bqcWfRv04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9bqcWfRv04[/video]

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have spent the last few days processing some of the slabs into shavings(maya dust) and making a few heartwood "matches", going to test them soon.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score