ATTN R License holders NSW - Rally to Save Hunting In the Public Land

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A quick update.
To those that hold R-license, to resume hunting you got to do a couple of tests online.
These tests can be found on the old Game Council booking site.
The first test are regulatory requirements and the other is map reading skills.
The tests are in multiple choice and to pass you need to achieve at least 75% correct answers.
Once passed these test, you can proceed to book your hunt.

It took me about 40 minutes to go through the tutorials and both tests.
I planned to go hunting on the first day hunting resumed on State Forest.

Cheers.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Sweet. Time to retune the bow. She's been in the cupboard for almost a year now.

Edit: god dam auto correct

Last edited:

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Actually I'd make further enquiry's re Bowhunting in NSW State Forests. I have heard several times Bowhunting is on the Back Burner at present, I was down at a local Archery Club yesterday talking to the group of Hunters down there and they where concerned that Bowhunting was still in doubt.

At least it is now legal in Tasmania for Feral Game

regards Jacko

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
All feral game in Tasmania except bogans and deer , although there is heavy petitioning going on at the moment for the addition of deer .

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Actually I'd make further enquiry's re Bowhunting in NSW State Forests. I have heard several times Bowhunting is on the Back Burner at present, I was down at a local Archery Club yesterday talking to the group of Hunters down there and they where concerned that Bowhunting was still in doubt.
Bowhunting is definitely OK from what I've seen. In fact there are 4 or 5 state forests that are listed for only bow hunting.

Radar

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I remember about 18 months or more back there was a "feral animal" hunt notice for the upper Shoalhaven river above Tallowa Dam, this notice informed that the river was closed for camping and kayaking for several weeks, its placement was at the dam. Now did this stop kayaks NO, we saw others on the water and did it stops us NO it didn't, we had planned this kayak/camp for months as we always do and it was 4 of us going, so we still went. There are a lot of entries into the upper Shoalhaven via walking in, so of course it was on our minds the 3 days we were away, did we hear shots YES but a long way off. We know the feral goats up there are in plague status and it has to be done, but what I'm getting at is how does "feral control" shooting go when it's clear that people ignore signs, we did but thought being on the river bank be safer than bush trekking.

This really is a can of worms topic, I KNOW that feral control must happen but mixing it with recreational areas is a concern. Signage does not work on the whole part especially if you have people travelling to an area, there not about to turn back, it's more a lets see what happens. .....also There are a LOT of non English people that get out into our Aussie bush now, they don't read signs either. Look what happens at beaches and rock fishing, they STILL swim and fish.
I don't think anyone answered your question Mozzie,
Shooting safety is all common sense, regardless of whether the hunter thinks they are alone or not, they should always know what is in line and behind the target before taking the shot.
Unfortunately, common sense is not so common these days :(

I know they teach that sort of stuff on the basic safety course required for a firearms licence in QLD. I would expect the R-Licence course has more of the same.

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Mozzie, no problems with safety in the previous 7 years the Game Council system was operating.

Victoria has a similar system operating for decades with no problems either

I'm sure people where injured just the same as people get injured when Bushwalking with Falls, sprains etc but no one got shot !

One of the requirements for Hunting in State Forests is the Hunter must where an article of Blaze Orange Clothing for visibility. Good idea for anyone in Hiking in the Bush in my view.

Members of the Public ignoring official signs is of great concern for me, I would most certainly not hold back pointing out the folly of anyone who ignored Signs if I was Hunting in the area and encountered them. I have encountered Poachers a couple of times when I have been Hunting on Private Land and was supposed to be the only person on the property. Sobering thought that no matter how attentive one is to bullet or arrow placement and where it would end up after passing through the Game Animal a person who was not supposed to be there was wounded or killed.

When Hunting in Groups if someone does not follow the plan it makes for entertaining language and usually their last trip away. Getting people to use common sense is an eternal problem that no amount of legislation will counter

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
How does one go about getting there permit/r license now days. Used to be a letter to the game council.