ATTN R License holders NSW - Rally to Save Hunting In the Public Land

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Rally to Save Hunting In the Public Land

Ok Guys.
If you are a hunter in NSW with R- License, it is time for you to show up and add your voice to the Rally to Save Hunting In the Public Land

When:- 14th August 2013
Where:- From Hyde Park (Archibald Fountain) to Sydney Parliament
What Time:- 11:30 to 13:00
Dress:- Please wear an item of blaze orange to show your support
Why:- We want our recreational freedom back. A family friendly rally.

Web Site: savehuntingonpublicland.org/portal/

I will be there.. how about you?

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder.

The rally is TODAY at 11.30 am from Hyde Park.
Wear something Blaze ORANGE.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Just got back from the rally.
Sad, scarcely 1000 people shows up, but we did very orderly do our rally and hopefully it made the point.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
At least you did your part in expressing your dissatisfaction in the new law.
I was surprised you say only 1000 showed up , how many people have gun licenses saying they hunt?

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
1000 is a bit disappointing but how many people couldn't take the day off for one reason or another? If it'd been on a weekend I would've been there but a weekday..... Takes me months to organise a day off. I suspect others were in the same boat.

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The rally must of helped. As of February 2014 hunting will be allowed back in state forests for r licence hunters. This is for NSW not sure about other states

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Bit of an awkward thread really, There will be many on this forum who are opposed to hunting. Not sure it's really the place to be supporting this platform Just MHO. I know you guys may not like it but I just felt it had to be said. I am not wanting to offend anyone or to divide the members.

Mountain man

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I haven't been under the impression that there wasn't a problem and recieved emails all through the transition from the Game council to the DPI. I also missed your thread about the rally so had no chance of attending. If members would prefer that I didn't post hunting photos or animals I will cease as I respect your views. I hunt ethically and humanely and utilise as much as I can from most animals. Cheers Steve

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
How does this R licence work ?
Does NSW have certain parts of the state forests they lock up for this ?
How do they warn other non hunting users of of the presence of hunters in the area ?

Mountain man

Les Stroud
Reaction score
How does this R licence work ?
Does NSW have certain parts of the state forests they lock up for this ?
How do they warn other non hunting users of of the presence of hunters in the area ?
There are forests that are available for hunting, there are exclusion zones next to private property and camping reserves and numerous other rules regarding firearm safety as well as the usual safety precautions that responsible fire arm users adhere to. The R-license system has worked for 7 years without incident and a similar system has worked for decades in Victoria.
I must say that every time I have been in a State forest I have not seen any other users except for the odd car driving through. Most property owners bordering the forests are appreciative that the breeding grounds of animals that are affecting their livelihood are receiving attention and not at the tax payers expense. Forestry workers that I have come across have been helpful and welcoming and generally point you in the direction of where they have spotted game.
There are signs on fences stating that designated forests are being used for recreational hunting aswell as signs showing the exclusion areas. Hunters must wear blaze orange and be booked with written permission on there person. Hope that helps Tas. Cheers Steve

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
This is good news, I did the Test years ago and never ledged the application, resat it a few weeks back as I heard a whisper the Parliament was going to allow Hunting in State Forests again in early February. I need the Licence to Hunt Deer on Private land in NSW. Now all I need is to get the Cash together and submit my application

Bushcraft Oz is a great place to discuss the Bushcraft Skills used when Hunting. I agree there is not need for graphic photo's [ on any Forum ] but pictures of Skinning, Field dressing posted in a thread meant to instruct are fine in my View. I learn new Skills and am able to share Bushcraft Skills when I Hunt. Having an R Licence will allow me and thousands of others to use and expand there Bushcraft skills. Sadly there will always be those that will abuse the privilege but I am sick of being judged and thrown in with those bad Apples

Back to the R Licence, A few new conditions have been imposed, here's an article I lifted from another Forum with some detail

STRICT NEW SAFTEY PROTOCOLS INTRODUCED FOR LICENSED HUNTING IN STATE FORESTS
Strict new safety requirements have been introduced as areas of State forest in NSW are re-declared for licensed recreational hunting, Acting Minister for Primary Industries Andrew Stoner today announced.
Mr Stoner said from 3 February, R-licensed recreational hunters will have access to some State forests, providing they adhere to the NSW Government’s strict new safety requirements.
“The NSW Government has always committed to reintroducing recreational licensed hunting in State forests, but only if it could be confident that this activity could be undertaken in the safest manner possible,” Mr Stoner said.
“Recreational licensed hunting has been allowed in State forests since 2006; however, following the independent Governance Review of the Game Council of NSW, the NSW Government suspended this activity in July 2013 until an updated risk assessment could be completed.
“Now that the Forestry Corporation of NSW has updated its risk assessment, which the NSW Government has considered, this activity may now recommence but R-licensed hunters must comply with important new safety protocols.”
The Forestry Corporation of NSW completed the first risk assessment of hunting in State forests in 2005, and this has been reviewed and updated in 2009, 2010 and now 2013.

The new safety requirements include:
 hunters must complete two online education modules before applying for written permission to hunt. The courses cover outdoor navigation and conditions of written permissions to hunt; and
Mr Stoner said declared State forests will be divided into five categories and R-licensed hunters will be able to make online bookings to hunt from Monday.
 hunters must carry a GPS-enabled device that contains hunting and exclusion map data provided by the Department of Primary Industries at all times when hunting;
 one full day must pass between the time a hunt is booked on the online system and the day of hunting (to allow the Forestry Corporation of NSW time to schedule/modify work);
 hunters must acknowledge and adhere to State forest signs.

“In October 2013 the NSW Government gazetted its preliminary intention to re-declare the forests open to legal hunting, subject to the outcomes of the updated risk assessment, and today’s announcement follows through on that commitment,” Mr Stoner said.
“The exhaustive risk assessment review left no stone unturned and made several recommendations, which the NSW Government has implemented.
“Of the 358 State forests which have been re-declared, initially about 200 will be opened to R-licensed hunters. Once declared, State forests may be opened or closed on a case-by- case basis.”
For more information on licensed recreational hunting in State forests or to make a booking to hunt from Monday, visit www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting.
MEDIA: Ben Shine 0431 096 596

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
hunters must carry a GPS-enabled device that contains hunting and exclusion map data provided by the Department of Primary Industries at all times when hunting;
Great, so now I need to buy a GPS unit that can handle maps. I suppose we'll need to buy the maps as well. Suppose most people don't use paper and compass any more. At least we're getting some access back.

I notice no mention of opening national parks up for trial that was going to happen last year or of refunds/credit for outstanding R licence periods.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember about 18 months or more back there was a "feral animal" hunt notice for the upper Shoalhaven river above Tallowa Dam, this notice informed that the river was closed for camping and kayaking for several weeks, its placement was at the dam. Now did this stop kayaks NO, we saw others on the water and did it stops us NO it didn't, we had planned this kayak/camp for months as we always do and it was 4 of us going, so we still went. There are a lot of entries into the upper Shoalhaven via walking in, so of course it was on our minds the 3 days we were away, did we hear shots YES but a long way off. We know the feral goats up there are in plague status and it has to be done, but what I'm getting at is how does "feral control" shooting go when it's clear that people ignore signs, we did but thought being on the river bank be safer than bush trekking.

This really is a can of worms topic, I KNOW that feral control must happen but mixing it with recreational areas is a concern. Signage does not work on the whole part especially if you have people travelling to an area, there not about to turn back, it's more a lets see what happens. .....also There are a LOT of non English people that get out into our Aussie bush now, they don't read signs either. Look what happens at beaches and rock fishing, they STILL swim and fish.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Bit of an awkward thread really, There will be many on this forum who are opposed to hunting. Not sure it's really the place to be supporting this platform Just MHO. I know you guys may not like it but I just felt it had to be said. I am not wanting to offend anyone or to divide the members.
I respectfully disagree.

Many bushcraft discussion involves killing of animal and processing them as food. Most people that are opposed to hunting are IMHO confused in their feeling towards firearms rather than the actual hunting. We have no qualm in discussing archery, slingshots, trapping and FISHING, all of which involves the skill to KILL animal. The actual objection most people that are opposed to hunting are the IMHO unreasonable hatred towards firearms usage.

Hunting skill are part of bushcraft skill, just as most bushcraft lovers, hunters need the skill to navigate, make camp, cook, survive in the bush and almost every other thing a bushcrafter do in the bush. They also need to be able to track, recognize and understand the animal, their habit and habitat. On top of that, they also need to know about how to track, harvest, field dress, transport and finally process the harvested animal. IMHO, hunting is an integral part of bushcrafting, and thus the forum is a good place to discuss hunting topic.

Not trying to stir confrontional emotions but just airing my 2c

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Those that kill for the sake of killing or derive pleasure out of pain caused to another being are not hunters.
True hunters spend time and thoughts in perfecting their skill, equipment and understanding of their prey, such as study of habitat, reproduction cycles and anatomy to ensure ethical kill and reduction in pain.
Often for a hunter, it is the actual hunt itself that made the trip, not the kill or "bag" number.

Please not to look down on people that kill and process their own meat, all those meat that available from butchers are coming from live animal, killed by proxy to provide you the pleasure of eating meat. The only difference is that the animal from the butcher may not have the choice to run and hide when the time come for them to die.

That person in the news relish and revels in the suffering of the deer, thus he is not a hunter but a demented killer that ought to be put away from society in general.
He own and misuse hunting dogs and that does not make him a hunter, just like most of us own knives and that does not make us killers.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I kill to harvest. For me its all about a gift. One life is given to improve another. Nothing is left to waste. I use the guts to fertilize my the land, the hide to make my gear and the meat to feed myself or my dog. There is no waste. Full transfer of energy.