Anyone have, or have an opinion on the AD 10 Cold steel?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Came across this folder on my nightly internet surf.

Is it something I should ask Santa for?
Despite the blurb, I am not planning on hunting lion In the Serengeti and the nearest I would get to a dangerous adventure would be a trip into town, or possibly staying up after 8.30pm.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Like you need another knife to make it a dangerous expedition!! Any folder, or fixed blade for that matter, makes for an exciting adventure with you, mate. 😐🙄🙂☺😊😄😆🤣☠🔪🔪🔪🍻🍻🤕🤕🤕🤕
Cheers
Blofy

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

I much prefer the No. 10 Opinel clasp knife (though there are larger ones by Opinel!). Well made, sturdy, light & simple. Nothing to go wrong with this knife. Holds a good edge, carbon steel blade. Locking bolster. The professional adventurer's choice ;) I have two of these, a #8 & a #10. I love them.
Keith.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Poor Thrud. You don't realise that you have a problem yet. It has nothing to do with logic; you just want that knife. But, if you get it, it is still a useful thing :). Give into your inner child and make the rest of us with the same problem feel a little less guilty :D

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I just looked at it; it looks great. It's pretty heavy, and expensive, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great knife and worth the money. With the weight I'm sure, knowing cold steel, there will be toughness and ruggedness. Although the best companies make mistakes sometimes, it would be good to see some reviews of it being used. There was this one on drop recently, similar style (look for the drop point option), great reviews, known to be tough and rugged (I saw it used to chop through a hard wood branch) and it was a great buy too - $103 AU delivered. D2 steel, similar weight and size, hollow ground. The knife you like has better steel (S35VN) and it has the triad lock, which is supposedly the best, or at least the strongest. $240 US is $343 AU right now; although I'm sure the street price will be much less. I don't wish to detract from your attraction to the cold steel. It does look a great knife. I have some cheap cold steel knives, and they are really one of my favorites. Despite the price point they are well made, and I just like them (tuff lite mini), and that's despite them being aus8. Sometimes you just see something and it hits a home run for you - that's the thing you should get, if you can afford it. If you're just contemplating though, and not enamoured, here are some other knives (civivi praxis and civivi naja) of similar dimensions, but lighter and much cheaper. I particularly like the naja. They are a flat grind and the steel is 9Cr18MoV; a good cheap steel (way ahead of 1095 on the chart:ROFLMAO: ), $80 delivered. And you're a much better man than me if you can wait till christmas.

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
The AD-10 is a beast, big burly and tough from all accounts. I have never handled one, nor would I buy one (it doesn't tick my boxes) but CS makes a solid product and the AD-10 is them producing a custom folder design at a production level. S35VN steel, Tri-Ad lock and a custom design what's not to like to be honest? If it floats your boat go for it mate.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hey Thrud, Drop have just listed this knife. It is about $216 au - probably + $10 - $15 delivery on top of that. Delivery is generally pretty cheap from drop. You might get away without paying tax - I did recently with a knife from the states (bradford knives). Just went through the motions - total with postage is $232. Could be a bit different to the currency converter I used but should be close.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Thrud, Drop have just listed this knife. It is about $216 au - probably + $10 - $15 delivery on top of that. Delivery is generally pretty cheap from drop. You might get away without paying tax - I did recently with a knife from the states (bradford knives). Just went through the motions - total with postage is $232. Could be a bit different to the currency converter I used but should be close.

Thanks Randall for the heads up

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The AD-10 is a beast, big burly and tough from all accounts. I have never handled one, nor would I buy one (it doesn't tick my boxes) but CS makes a solid product and the AD-10 is them producing a custom folder design at a production level. S35VN steel, Tri-Ad lock and a custom design what's not to like to be honest? If it floats your boat go for it mate.

Ever since I saw the tip break off a Reckon 1 in a ballistics torso dummy attack on deadliest warrior it put me off. Good locks on them, but made to a budget. Much preferred the Rick Hinderer equivalent with a reinforced tip personally.